PDA

View Full Version : Idea to simplify for new users

bogoliubov
March 28th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Hello. I just had an idea how to make Ubuntu friendly for the new user. Perhaps someone has already had this idea (it is pretty simple), but I'll post it anyway, just in case...

The installation of Ubuntu is, in my opinion, quite straightforward; as simple as installing OSX. But people often run into problems after the installation is complete; you know when you want to get 3d acceleration, mp3/divX playback, java, flash etc working. For this one can usually check ubunutuguide.org, which is a good page to start with.

But most of the stuff at this page is scriptable! Why don't we make a "simple" shell-script that fixes some basic things for the user?

Also, in some cases one has to tweak the installation a little more; for instance on laptops, PPC computers and so forth. Why not make scripts that are specialized for, say, a particular laptop. I mean, when someone has a problem with something and find a solution, it is often possible to make a script that fixes this.

The goal with this idea, as I see it, is that when you have installed Ubuntu on your machine, you'll have an executable icon on you desktop that you can run and this will fix/tweak your system really quickly and easily. Or one can download the script from a webpage and do the same.

What are your opinion on this?

Princey
March 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Hello. I just had an idea how to make Ubuntu friendly for the new user. Perhaps someone has already had this idea (it is pretty simple), but I'll post it anyway, just in case...

The installation of Ubuntu is, in my opinion, quite straightforward; as simple as installing OSX. But people often run into problems after the installation is complete; you know when you want to get 3d acceleration, mp3/divX playback, java, flash etc working. For this one can usually check ubunutuguide.org, which is a good page to start with.

But most of the stuff at this page is scriptable! Why don't we make a "simple" shell-script that fixes some basic things for the user? What are your opinion on this?

I think Automatix takes care of the mp3/divx/java/flash issues. My knowledge in programming is pretty basic but as far as I gather, Automatix is a combination of scripts (subject to correction, Arnieboy). As far as hardware goes, it's pretty hard to get a script running for say a compaq 6000. While it is the same model number, there may be a different soundcard or different network card. I've seen that happen as I've been repairing Windows machines for over 8 years now. Not sure if that helps.

bogoliubov
March 28th, 2006, 01:20 PM
As far as hardware goes, it's pretty hard to get a script running for say a compaq 6000. While it is the same model number, there may be a different soundcard or different network card. I've seen that happen as I've been repairing Windows machines for over 8 years now. Not sure if that helps.

Yep., I was kinda afraid of that answer. So you think that it isn't a good idea then?

NeghVar
March 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM
It is a good idea but automatrix already works fine for it, there isn't much point in reinventing the wheel if ya know what I mean. I think personnally that is one of the more annoying points of the open source community, every person thinks that they can make a perfect piece of software but they fail to realise that there are already perfectly good ones out there. I'm not against innovation but I am against redundancy.

No offense just my opinion on the whole lets make 5 million distros for the express purpose of confusing the noobies.

Lord Illidan
March 28th, 2006, 01:26 PM
What you are saying is good. It has already been done by Automatix and Easy Ubuntu. However, I am not sure whether it is acceptable to have a link on the page to these scripts, where you can download potentially illegal software like w32codecs. Ubuntu does not endorse Automatix. (I think, feel free to correct me)

Also, in some cases one has to tweak the installation a little more; for instance on laptops, PPC computers and so forth. Why not make scripts that are specialized for, say, a particular laptop. I mean, when someone has a problem with something and find a solution, it is often possible to make a script that fixes this.

There are many laptops with different hardware out there. Not sure whether mere scripts would fix the issues.

bogoliubov
March 28th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Ok. I didn't know about this Automatix, nor Easy Ubuntu. And I really do agree about the reinventing the weel thing. I've also felt that the sheer amount of distros, packages, forums, applications can be a bit frustrating. I guess it's one of the downsides of the open source community. At the same time, it is the strenght as well.

And yes, I had my doubts about the legal part of script-downloading codecs.

But I still think that what one has to fix is the "post-installation" frustration that I know people (newbies like me) feel.