PDA

View Full Version : Reason #254 why I hate Apple

whiskeylover
June 23rd, 2010, 03:53 AM
Trying to sneak in the installation of Safari along with each and every one of the 923423423 iTunes updates every week.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=161299&stc=1&d=1277261547

tubezninja
June 23rd, 2010, 04:18 AM
Soooooo don't use iTunes + Quicktime?

Zerocool Djx
June 23rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
You ain't kewl unless you go on a safari!.... almost like adobe always trying to sneak in macafee, which is the worse virus thingy out there.. I think I actually got more problems because of it.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 23rd, 2010, 04:23 AM
You ain't kewl unless you go on a safari!.... almost like adobe always trying to sneak in macafee, which is the worse virus thingy out there.. I think I actually got more problems because of it.

No, Norton does its job admirably: it brings your attention to existing problems, such as the fact you're running Windows ;)

DeadSuperHero
June 23rd, 2010, 04:30 AM
No, Norton does its job admirably: it brings your attention to existing problems, such as the fact you're running Windows ;)

It's not easy being an AntiVirus program. I know I'd fail miserably at it.
Good for Norton.

Dustin2128
June 23rd, 2010, 04:43 AM
Sometimes I wonder if McAfee and Norton design viruses for job security; honestly I don't think there are enough of the 'society-hating hacker' stereotype to write the tens of thousands of viruses of the windows platform. At least not all of the viruses.

Giant Speck
June 23rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
The application is called "Apple Software Update", not "iTunes Software Update".

Also, they aren't sneaking Safari in there if they include the option to not install it.

Bachstelze
June 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM

*pinches*

Paqman
June 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Also, they aren't sneaking Safari in there if they include the option to not install it.

They pretty much are. They're relying on people not checking in detail what is about to be installed. Safari isn't in there by accident, they're deliberately trying to get people to install it inadvertently. They've been doing the same with sneaking iTunes in on top of Quicktime for yonks. It's a pretty dodgy tactic, but it's worked really well for them.

MichealH
June 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
No, Norton does its job admirably

Except we dont like Norton: We like avast which is FREE?!?!?!!? also Norton sneaks its way in and says we have 100 threats. We have to pay to remove them... No If avast! Isn't picking them up (as a drop dead secure free antivirus) then what is?

The application is called "Apple Software Update", not "iTunes Software Update".

Yes but EVERY TIME I update I have to be awake to make sure that I don't let it install.

They pretty much are. They're relying on people not checking in detail what is about to be installed. Safari isn't in there by accident, they're deliberately trying to get people to install it inadvertently. They've been doing the same with sneaking iTunes in on top of Quicktime for yonks. It's a pretty dodgy tactic, but it's worked really well for them.

Yes but who (has dial up) will want to wait for 100 odd Meg to download and then to install. Its bad enough on a 2MB line.

whiskeylover
June 23rd, 2010, 08:18 AM

So that's their excuse.

By enabling the checkbox by default, yes, they are sneaking Safari in.

KiwiNZ
June 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
It takes hours and 3456 actions to remove the tick

Frak
June 23rd, 2010, 08:46 AM
It's not really sneaking if they put it in a white box with its own tab markers and checkbox is it? This is just a case example of "look before you leap".

McRat
June 23rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
As some might know, Apple restricts some customer service areas on their site to Safari only. This is pretty rare, and something Microsoft and Google have not done.

And yes, the constant whoring of Safari is getting irritating. It's sluttyness is not unique, but it's the most aggressive.

It looks like we are going to see a sharp rise in the marketing activities by computer companies. Apple appears to want to lead the charge.

I truly admire what Apple has done to reinvent themselves. They make some of the best personal computing products on the market. It would be a shame to see Vince "ShamWow" hawking iPads in the parking lot of Walmart in Atlanta, but I suppose acting like a carnival barker is profitable.

whiskeylover
June 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
It takes hours and 3456 actions to remove the tick

No, it takes a millisecond and one click to remove the tick.

BUT

If you forget, it installs crapware called Safari on your computer, and it takes more than a millisecond to get rid of it.

I know you're an Apple fan, but not everyone likes Safari.

It's not really sneaking if they put it in a white box with its own tab markers and checkbox is it? This is just a case example of "look before you leap".

Again - the checkbox is enabled by default. And they're banking on users not paying attention.

Giant Speck
June 23rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
If you forget, it installs crapware called Safari on your computer, and it takes more than a millisecond to get rid of it.

I know you're an Apple fan, but not everyone likes Safari.

Again - the checkbox is enabled by default. And they're banking on users not paying attention.

So it's solely Apple's fault that the user isn't paying attention to what they're installing? I'm not saying Apple is completely faultless; they are taking advantage of the stupidity of their users. That said, it's still the user's responsibility to ensure they're not installing something they don't want.

whiskeylover
June 23rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
So it's solely Apple's fault that the user isn't paying attention to what they're installing? I'm not saying Apple is completely faultless; they are taking advantage of the stupidity of their users. That said, it's still the user's responsibility to ensure they're not installing something they don't want.

I didn't say it was Apple's responsibility :roll:
And although, relying on user's lapse of focus to pawn their software on unsuspecting users isn't fraudulent, its close.

And people say they're better than MS.

McRat
June 23rd, 2010, 09:11 AM

Trying to hawk goods during security updates is sleezy. Doesn't much matter who is doing it.

Anyhow, the users can't be too stupid. Safari is the candy bar floating in the internet pool according to installed seats.

Legendary_Bibo
June 23rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
I tried Safari on Vista once, it was okay. The problem with it is it's designed to look like a lightweight browser, yet it's as heavy firefox.

Paqman
June 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
they are taking advantage of the stupidity of their users.

Hardly behaviour that you'd want to be defending, surely? Bundling unsolicited software in with updates is bottomfeeder tactics.

Johnsie
June 23rd, 2010, 09:55 AM
'Install by default' is very sneaky indeed. Yes you can untick it, but why the hell is it ticked in the first place? Did I ever, at any time suggest that I wanted to install Safari?

Well, I've joined the rebellion against Apple by getting an android phone. Itunes isn't allowed anywhere near my computer.

whiskeylover
June 23rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Well, I've joined the rebellion against Apple by getting an android phone. Itunes isn't allowed anywhere near my computer.

I would totally remove iTunes from my computer if it weren't for my wife's iPhone.

dragos240
June 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
If you hate apple, why are you using an ipod? There are literally thousands of alternatives!

EDIT: Oh I see, your wife has an iphone. Ah, that makes sense. Nevermind.