PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wrong Drive Formatted

schopra
June 23rd, 2010, 01:58 AM
Hi guys,
So i am noob @ Ubuntu. By mistake i seem to have formatted the wrong hard drive in my system when installing Ubuntu. I gues this was an ID10T error.

In any case, so my question is, is there a way to recover files that on the NTFS partition that was on this drive before i installed Ubuntu by mistake. I have some very important files that i need to recover.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Warren North
June 23rd, 2010, 04:41 AM
Not sure of recovery, If I set up a system with a dual boot I unplug the drive I want to save. Sorry this happen to you.

Bucky Ball
June 23rd, 2010, 04:50 AM
Problem is, when you delete data, it doesn't actually delete it, just marks the blocks as 'writable'. This is kinda good but kinda bad because when you installed Ubuntu it would have seen those blocks as writable and written over them. Consequently, you may have some files you can recover but others will be half or bits and others will be written over.

There is software to find out and hopefully someone can chime in with those details. Good luck ... !

JustinR
June 23rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
If you still have ubuntu installed, Install the program called "Testdisk". Its a complete disk deletion tool for files/partition tables, etc. I haven't had much experience with but I've used it before and it works alright.