PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome Panels and OCD

TyLLy_4
June 23rd, 2010, 01:38 AM
Hi all,

I have this issue that drives me crazy (its called OCD)
also this happens.

I like to play a game called Soldier of fortune, but every time i play my panel applet go ape on me. (they get moved all over the panel and desorganized) this happens when the game loads opengl and resizes the screen.

I have tried using ubuntu tweak to lock all gnome panels and it still happens.

I have tried to make the game resolution the same as my desktop wich also does nto work because before you connect to a server you go to the main screen wich is allways 800x600.

any ideas?

Right now im reorganizing my launchers EVRY time i play wich is a pain.

attached is a SS of my desktop

kerry_s
June 23rd, 2010, 01:53 AM
use the desktop for launchers.
or
maybe make a panel on the left/right just for your launchers, cause you have a lot.
or
have you tried putting them in the drawer instead?
or
gnome-main-menu has a section that you can put your favorites.
or
netbook-launcher can also keep things tidy with your favorites in 1 spot.

TyLLy_4
June 23rd, 2010, 03:49 AM
use the desktop for launchers.
or
maybe make a panel on the left/right just for your launchers, cause you have a lot.
or
have you tried putting them in the drawer instead?
or
gnome-main-menu has a section that you can put your favorites.
or
netbook-launcher can also keep things tidy with your favorites in 1 spot.

putting them in a drawer or in the menu defeats the purpose :( I want to have them within 1 click.

netbook launcher is just a mess (I dont really like it)

and as for putting a bar on the side instead .... well .. my OCD wouldnt allow me.

kerry_s
June 23rd, 2010, 04:14 AM
:lolflag: so your saying anything other then how you have it now, you can't do?

i guess your just going to have to live it. :lolflag:

TheNosh
June 23rd, 2010, 04:34 AM
:lolflag: so your saying anything other then how you have it now, you can't do?

i guess your just going to have to live it. :lolflag:

what he's describing doesn't seem like it would be fixed by moving a panel to the side, and the multi-click think is a huge turn-off for drawers.

it's clearly some manner of bug and there's likely a solution.

-----------------------------------------------
i used to have the same issue whenever i played a game that took over the screen or messed with the resolution. it doesn't happen to me any more, unfortunately i don't know what changed because i don't recall doing anything to fix it.

while i can't offer a solution, i can at least offer the consolation that, based on my experience, a solution must exist.

kerry_s
June 23rd, 2010, 04:53 AM
what he's describing doesn't seem like it would be fixed by moving a panel to the side, and the multi-click think is a huge turn-off for drawers.

i used to have the same issue whenever i played a game that took over the screen or messed with the resolution. it doesn't happen to me any more, unfortunately i don't know what changed because i don't recall doing anything to fix it.

while i can't offer a solution, i can at least offer the consolation that, based on my experience, a solution must exist.

i don't know if you can call it a bug, its perfectly normal for the panel size to change to fit the screen size & in his case compress the icons to fit them on the panel.
unless he finds a way to run the game in windowed mode at the 800x600, so it don't touch his resolution.
the only fix i see would be on the server side of the game where it's changing the screen to 800x600, which i'm sure he has no control over as it's not his.

TyLLy_4
June 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM

Thx for understanding. My opinion its .. if other desktop environments can do it (windows, mac ETC...) why wouldn't Ubuntu be able to?

Right now im looking at "Gimmie" or running game in windowed (wich sucks too) to correct the issue. I'll let you know how it goes.

p.s. Ocarina of time FTW :D

TheNosh
June 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
i don't know if you can call it a bug, its perfectly normal for the panel size to change to fit the screen size & in his case compress the icons to fit them on the panel.
unless he finds a way to run the game in windowed mode at the 800x600, so it don't touch his resolution.
the only fix i see would be on the server side of the game where it's changing the screen to 800x600, which i'm sure he has no control over as it's not his.

i would certainly call it a bug. if the panel size changing when screen resolution changes is normal (which it is), there should be something in place to make sure that it is reverted to it's previous configuration when changed back.

just because we know what causes something doesn't make it not a bug.there's no reason one should need to put up with that just because they play a game in full screen; the resolution change is meant for the game, having a lasting effect on the rest of the system once the game is changed is not intended.

Right now im looking at "Gimmie" or running game in windowed (wich sucks too) to correct the issue. I'll let you know how it goes.

good luck.

p.s. Ocarina of time FTW :D
indeed. can't wait for the 3DS release. (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/15/the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-coming-to-nintendo-3ds/)

TyLLy_4
June 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
indeed. can't wait for the 3DS release.

Awsome ... dud i catch the high resolution version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOxY0oM32Lc&feature=related

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time/High_Resolution_Textures

P.S .. threadjacking not intentional

TheNosh
June 24th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Awsome ... dud i catch the high resolution version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOxY0oM32Lc&feature=related

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time/High_Resolution_Textures

P.S .. threadjacking not intentional

the cel shaded version is pretty neat too.

TyLLy_4
June 25th, 2010, 04:56 PM
OK i'v found the solution. There is this applet called launcher list on the global repositories tha contains all your launchers within one applet. This way i still might get messed up but to reorganize them its only to drag the container into place.

Also this nifty applet allows you to have two rows of launchers or two rows of applets in your gnome panels.

I post this because thats something else that i'v been trying to accomplish for ever and there is NO INFORATION INDEXED BY GOOGLE on how to do this :D LOL

so, again .. the applet name is launcher list.

great for multiple rows in your gnome panel, two rows in your gnome panel nd it works with launchers and applets, apps applications ... (this last paragraph its for SEO)