PDA

View Full Version : What kind of user are you? simple or eye candy for everything

SoFl W
June 23rd, 2010, 12:13 AM
We have a lot of varied users here and I was wondering what the percentage of users we have are. I use Ubuntu on a few machines but I am talking about your main computer that you use the most.

MINIMALIST USER - Turned off the GUI and just uses the command line.
KISS USER - (Keep It Simple Stupid). Turned off animations and sound effects, everything, (for the most part), is plain and simple.
DEFAULT USER - Whatever Ubuntu came with, just use that.
MILD TWEAKER - Someone who tweaks a few things, but not too much.
EYE CANDY USER - Someone who wants everything flashy and fancy. Desktop is the cube, it changes backgrounds when it rotates, all menus are animated, there are sounds for everything, smilies in every post, the more "cool" stuff the better.

Stancel
June 23rd, 2010, 12:54 AM
Mild tweaker. I use GnoMenu.

XubuRoxMySox
June 23rd, 2010, 01:44 AM
Just a little compositing, enough to make my Xubuntu panel opaque. No special effects or anything because my 'puter is an older hand-me-down.

If I had a newer modern 'puter with lots of RAM and a super fast processor, I'm sure I'd use a lot of special effects just because they're so cool looking. Maybe someday on a new machine...

Enjoying it simply,
Robin

SoFl W
June 23rd, 2010, 02:28 AM
I would keep it simple, but I do like to look at the fancy stuff. I have been impressed with backgrounds, conky scripts and other things people here have done. I have a laptop that I try different distros on, and sometimes I pump up the effects on that just to see what they are but I usually change everything back to simple.

I did however start to use the contacts picture option with Thunderbird. Useless add-on but I like it.

nerdy_kid
June 23rd, 2010, 02:33 AM
I use kde love customizing stuff, love simple and eye candy at the same time.

attached a screenie of my master piece :D (designed the color scheme myself)

[edit]
cant really see the full color scheme in that screenie, but you should get the general idea :D

TRoe
June 23rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
I like it simple. While I prefer the smooth menu and window transitions, I feel that the revolving beast-box and the heavy metal stage explosions revealing the next web page or preference window is a little much.

I have a nice (perhaps over-powered) home-made desktop with a PCIe GeForce 8600GS so I went with the default Ubuntu Compiz settings and I'm pretty happy with that. It reminds me of the OS's I've abandoned without having to pine over it... :p

TRoe
June 23rd, 2010, 02:45 AM
Yikes! I'm the only default user so far....

Lucradia
June 23rd, 2010, 02:51 AM
Minimalist user-ish.

Debian + Openbox (No DE, meaning using startx, etc.)

Pretty much sums it up.

Timmer1240
June 23rd, 2010, 03:10 AM
Im a mild tweaker heres a shot of my desktop

Frogs Hair
June 23rd, 2010, 03:10 AM
I use the GnoMenu , GLX Dock , and the info-panel Screenlet . I like to change window borders to match the wallpaper I'm using . No cube or open GL dock settings here.

madjr
June 23rd, 2010, 03:34 AM
i like ubuntu defaults in lucid and try not to change things much

but i do some little tweaking on few things

diesch
June 23rd, 2010, 03:45 AM
None of the above. I don't care much about eye candy but I'm tweaking a lot to make things work like I want them.

Cuddles McKitten
June 23rd, 2010, 03:46 AM
I bought all the newest hardware I could just so I could... remove most of the effects that come with Ubuntu/GNOME. :(

At least now I started playing video games again after a year's hiatus. I guess that sort of justifies the 4 GB of RAM.

Linye
June 23rd, 2010, 04:00 AM
I'm between 4 and 5.

dtfinch
June 23rd, 2010, 04:46 AM
I go for a clean, familiar, common, easy to look at, average of everything ordinary sort of look.

Window border: Gilouche (simple blue title bars)
Controls: Clearlooks
Fonts: 9pt Liberation (smaller, narrower, more like Windows' defaults)
Visual Effects: None

Arwen17evenstar
June 23rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
I did try all that fancy stuff like the desktop cube, different themes, menus, etc. But I pretty much went back to the basic standard because that extra shiny stuff, while fun for awhile, starts to get in the way.

So yeah its definitely fun to experiment from time to time, but you don't really need it.

ticopelp
June 23rd, 2010, 05:39 AM
I use Compiz with quite a few effects turned on. I'm so used to using Scale to quickly look at multiple windows that it's like an integral part of the UI to me now. I really miss it if it's not there. I use group / tab, ADD helper, etc.

Beyond that, I tend to change it up every few weeks. Right now I'm running cairo-dock with a bunch of animated icons, but in another couple of weeks I'll probably tire of it and go back to a plain old GNOME panel. My days of installing three or four different WMs are probably over though.

Linuxforall
June 23rd, 2010, 06:26 AM
Minimalist here, no compiz, only metacity. I add ppa for latest video driver from x-swat, rvm's ppa for mplayer, smplayer and c.corn's for latest vlc, transmission ppa and pidgin ppa. Apart from that its all stock including theme and wallpaper. Works best.

Bachstelze
June 23rd, 2010, 06:38 AM
Depending on my mood and the specific purpose of the system in question, I can bend towards one side or the other, so I answered "default".

Right now, default Ambiance theme, "In the dark Redux" wallpaper, Lucida Grande font (default font on OSX, just rocks).