PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] rcN.d links disappearing

msobkow
June 22nd, 2010, 11:18 PM
We run Ubuntu 10.04 Server for our solutions, but I'm having a bizarre problem with init.d boot scripts. I have a script for the Sangoma wanpipe drivers that I modified to add the LSB information so that "update rc.d wanrouter defaults" runs correctly. The symbolic links from rcN.d to init.d get created appropriately.

However, when I reboot the system, all the rcN.d links have disappeared and wanrouter isn't automatically started!

I've never seen this kind of behaviour from a Unix based system in 20+ years, so I'm baffled as to how to fix the problem.

capscrew
June 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
We run Ubuntu 10.04 Server for our solutions, but I'm having a bizarre problem with init.d boot scripts. I have a script for the Sangoma wanpipe drivers that I modified to add the LSB information so that "update rc.d wanrouter defaults" runs correctly. The symbolic links from rcN.d to init.d get created appropriately.

However, when I reboot the system, all the rcN.d links have disappeared and wanrouter isn't automatically started!

I've never seen this kind of behaviour from a Unix based system in 20+ years, so I'm baffled as to how to fix the problem.

As of 10.04 Ubuntu is now using Upstart instead of init scripts for most things. See here (http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/125977) for some information.