PDA

View Full Version : Thanks a lot, Mom.

Shibblet
June 22nd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Well, I'm back to the age old "Solving computer problems for my mother..."

This time she actually backed up all of the information on her computer so we could transition her from Windows to Ubuntu.

This is an email problem. She backed up all of her Outlook emails as .MSG format. Now, I can't figure out how to get them into Thunderbird.

I would go back to Outlook and re-save them as .EML files, but Outlook and Windows are gone at this point. Any idea what I can do to recover these emails?

NightwishFan
June 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Only thing I could find was this:
http://www.avtechpulse.com/opensource/email.html

As a side note, my mom uses Ubuntu as well. Today she needed my help printing so she called me up and I went down to the library with her. I caught her complaining about "these darn windows machines". :)

bruno9779
June 22nd, 2010, 07:47 PM
I have found a more step by step guide for the same tool

http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Read_Microsoft_Outlook_.MSG _files_in_Linux

nerdy_kid
June 22nd, 2010, 10:18 PM
when i moved my dad from outlook to linux I first installed thunderbird and imported all of his emails then copy and pasted thunderbirds data files from C:\Documents and Settings\_user_\Application Data\_thunderbird_? into ~/.thunderbird in linux. worked like a charm! :D

steveneddy
June 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM
The long way around all of this is to install Windows in a VM - then install Outlook - save them and open them all in Outlook - THEN go back and export them in .eml -

If nothing else works this will get you there - but it's the long way around the block.

Shibblet
June 24th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Well, one thing that I have found out about fixing someone's computer, is that it's not very difficult. It's actually easy.

IT JUST TAKES FOREVER!

It's a time-sink. It will eat up hours before you've even finished downloading the patch.

Well, back to the original gameplan. I copied all of her email to a computer with outlook on it, opened them all up, and exported them to a Windows Thunderbird client. Then saved them all on the disk again, toted them back to her Ubuntu machine, and viola. 3 hours later, because "mom" saves EVERY FLIPPIN EMAIL SHE'S EVER RECEIVED, EVER. And can't live without them.

So, problem solved.

smellyman
June 24th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Not to go too off topic,but how many people here save all their emails? (personal not work)

I am one who could care less if they all get deleted.....

I also only use online email. So much more onveniant for me.

TheNessus
June 24th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Well, one thing that I have found out about fixing someone's computer, is that it's not very difficult. It's actually easy.

IT JUST TAKES FOREVER!

It's a time-sink. It will eat up hours before you've even finished downloading the patch.

Well, back to the original gameplan. I copied all of her email to a computer with outlook on it, opened them all up, and exported them to a Windows Thunderbird client. Then saved them all on the disk again, toted them back to her Ubuntu machine, and viola. 3 hours later, because "mom" saves EVERY FLIPPIN EMAIL SHE'S EVER RECEIVED, EVER. And can't live without them.

So, problem solved.

That's why I let uncle Google save'em for me.

bigsmitty64
June 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM
not to go too off topic,but how many people here save all their emails? (personal not work)

i am one who could care less if they all get deleted.....

+1

earthpigg
June 24th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I am one who could care less if they all get deleted.....

I also only use online email. So much more onveniant for me.

this

it would be potentially annoying if i lost my 'receipts' folder in gmail... other than that, i'd be fine.

pwnst*r
June 24th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Well, I'm back to the age old "Solving computer problems for my mother..."

You shouldn't have a problem doing this for your mother. Ever.

kamaboko
June 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I solved this problem with my parents years ago. The solution is Hotmail. Use Gmail if you like, or whatever fits the bill. With 5GB of space, let Hotmail or whomever take care of archiving emails. Having my parents on Outlook was just one more headache to take care of.

CharlesA
June 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I pull my mail from gmail with Thunderbird, that way if I every need an email that I've deleted long ago, I can find it. :)

Timmer1240
June 25th, 2010, 03:26 AM
Thats what a good kid should do but the time factor it can take a while been there done that!My mom calls me for support too glad I can help her out she got a new windows 7 laptop its been pretty good so far for her just had to tell her dont go installing all that "FREE" software screensavers ect.they come with "FREE" gifts for me to solve!Actually I like fixen em so once in a whiles ok!