PDA

View Full Version : Is there any difference?

98cwitr
June 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Other than the installation processes, if you install a GUI (sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop) on Ubuntu Server, is there a difference between the desktop version?

NightwishFan
June 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM
No I would not think so, though the server kernel does not use preemption. You can manually install one or both kernels though. If you have a desktop but still use server tasks having no preemption is fine.

McRat
June 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
When I did that, I ran into trouble with the wireless. I could not isolate it. I loaded GUI 32bit up and the problem went away. The hardwire always worked.

NightwishFan
June 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
It should be no different from installing Ubuntu from the Alternate CD, which always worked for me. I just installed the Netbook Interface from my Desktop edition and it works. Though a recommendation, install the desktop using aptitude not apt-get.

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

cbrunhaver
June 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
IIRC, the 32 bit server kernel uses PAE, where I believe that the desktop version does not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Lightstar
June 23rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
The ubuntu desktop kernel comes with PAE now, it's been like that for the last 2 versions maybe?

Yeah, I used to install the server kernel just for PAE, beside that, i never noticed any difference from the desktop version.

NightwishFan
June 23rd, 2010, 03:27 AM
linux-server has:

100hz timer
Deadline I/O Scheduler
No preemption
PAE

linux-generic has: (on 32-bit)

250hz timer
CFQ I/O Scheduler
Voluntary Preemption
PAE (as of late)