PDA

View Full Version : OOMA (NoPC-VOIP) seems better than Vonage Hub?

emarkay
June 22nd, 2010, 06:22 PM
These products allow an old POST phone to plug into the VIOP service.

Single line "Twisted Copper" lover - just want to eliminate $30 per month to AT&T.
Don't want Skype (PC on all the time) and don't need $50 a month Cell phone, don't make many calls, no international.

They offer "Hub" and "Telo" similar price, but Telo has more "Gee whiz" and also yearly federal fees.

"Hub" also has "Scout" that enables additional POTS phones to be added to VIOP line.

Available a Amazon for no tax and free shipping.

Anyone have any promotional codes or referral discounts? :)

Thanks!

emarkay
June 24th, 2010, 10:31 PM
No one uses VOIP here? :)

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 10:36 PM
My referrals are only for the Telo. ooma is not giving referrals for the Hub, and Telo is $12 a year. :(

Lucradia
June 24th, 2010, 11:14 PM
My referrals are only for the Telo. ooma is not giving referrals for the Hub, and Telo is $12 a year. :(

Ooma is free after the large ~149 USD start purchase for the hub itself.

However, due to their website limiting access to the support forums to only registered customers, you won't know what to really expect. Plus, I've heard many times that Ooma re-uses MAC Addresses, and therefore some people were unable to activate their hub.

Getting your current number transferred also needs an extra fee of course.

ubunterooster
June 24th, 2010, 11:31 PM
$250, actually. As for reusing Mac addresses, I have not seen any instances of that for over two years.

Customer support?!? None, nada, /dev/null

emarkay
June 27th, 2010, 05:30 PM
So far so good - the Hub was $199 and in a few days I have had no usage problems. Absolutely no quality issues and no "didn't RTFM" issues. Many problems online that I see are with "RTFM" issues and expecting more than from what is offered. True, their "Customer Service" is for customers only, and their "live" people are apparently "offshore", but there are a lot of external websites with ideas and suggestions to get a more broad idea of any issues.

The only real problem I encountered on set-up was no available new numbers in my "812" area code, but a little digging around found one I could register with. This, I fear, may be their biggest issue, not having enough numbers allocated in a given area code.

I have microwave 3M1M broadband, with one main PC wired, a secondary wired PC up to 2 laptops wireless, and so far so good. It's obvious that one must be aware of bandwidth limitations, but I have been making and getting calls successfully while "online", and also successfully with 2 machines "online".

I can't wait to eliminate the near $40.00 a month I pay to AT&T for my trusty old "big old desktop phone" and my antique Radio Shack cordless. Also, there are no costs, fees or tariffs to use the basic Hub.

Lucradia
June 27th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I can't wait to eliminate the near $40.00 a month I pay to AT&T for my trusty old "big old desktop phone" and my antique Radio Shack cordless. Also, there are no costs, fees or tariffs to use the basic Hub.

I pay 14.99 /mo for cable phone service (base fee, will never go up anytime soon). Though obviously it's 10 cents/min for in-state long distance, since I only have local (no caller ID, voice mail, etc.)

I have a digital answering machine anyway, why do I need voice mail?

ubunterooster
June 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM
with voicemail, you can check the messages from any Internet connected PC

Lucradia
June 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
with voicemail, you can check the messages from any Internet connected PC

Why should I? I don't know when people call me, so you're saying I should just check my voice mail every hour?

Not like I get calls every day, or rather, every week.