PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should I Trust This?

physic.dude
June 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
I have been holding off on installing this for a wile now and I am wondering if it is safe. It is in the "Other Updates" category of the update manager. And when you try to install it it says that it could allow someone else to take control of your system.

Take a look at the pictures.

And the description for the update is:

Manufacturer-supplied PPD files for Brother's PostScript printers
This package is automatically created from the PPD files which are assigned to the "Postscript-Brother" driver entry in the OpenPrinting database. The PPDs can also be downloaded as single files, but with the packaged file all advantages of the package managers of the distros can be made use of: Clean uninstallation, automatic updates, ...
(Converted from a rpm package by alien version 8.69.)

Rubi1200
June 22nd, 2010, 04:56 PM
As a rule, computer users should ALWAYS be wary when seeing a warning like this!

I suggest you search the forums and Google a bit and see if anyone else has seen this message.

Finally, do you actually NEED this update? If not, just deselect it and problem solved.

physic.dude
June 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
As a rule, computer users should ALWAYS be wary when seeing a warning like this!

I suggest you search the forums and Google a bit and see if anyone else has seen this message.

Finally, do you actually NEED this update? If not, just deselect it and problem solved.

I already Googled as much as I could about this and found nothing. And I have been holding off on this for this update for months now and its just annoying. I think its for some Brother printing drivers I downloaded from there website.

davidmohammed
June 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
if you don't need it and never want to see it again then go to administrator - software sources and untick the openprinting/brother ppa you have. When you close, your software sources will reload and you'll never see that message again.