PDA

View Full Version : I goofed up

OtakuWrath
June 22nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
:-( i just used my last CD-R to create a Live CD.. but it was a Xubuntu live CD.. i wasn't aware i was all out of disc.. i should have checked first.. now i have to buy more disc to create a Ubuntu CD.. I'm thinking of dual booting Lucid Lynx with WinXP but the way it talks about backing up all my data first worries me.. like there's a huge failure rate and I'm likely gonna fail.. i really don't want to run Wubi like this forever.. if i have to I'll erase Windows completely and be a Linux guy.. i do actually prefer Linux now.. i just wish i had a WinXP boot disc just incase.. I don't know anything about partitioning.. any advice would be nice.. moral support even lol..

McRat
June 22nd, 2010, 01:50 PM
Do you have USB memory stick? Does your computer support booting from it?

Phrea
June 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
You being out of cdr's is of course a very easy fix.

The failure rate is -I think- actually very low. The reason people keep talking about making backups is because it could go wrong, just like your hdd could fail at some point, or windows or linux create a situation through faults that your data might be in jeopardy.
After all, we are talking about personal[ly] created files, which are often very important to the person who created them [think office documents, video's, photographs, etc etc].

As for the XP bootdisk, there are ways to make a bootable windows cd, I believe BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) is one of several programs that is able to accomplish this.

OtakuWrath
June 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Do you have USB memory stick? Does your computer support booting from it?

I'm not sure if it supports it.. :confused: i haven't really dealt with hardware much.. is it a feature only in certain newer PC?

Cavsfan
June 22nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Here is some info on dual booting at least for you to think about. I dual boot Lucid Lynx and Windows 7.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

When you go to install Ubuntu, you will click on "Custom install" towards the bottom.

I have 4GB RAM, so I set my swap file as twice that to 8GB (1024 being 1MB) 8,192 GB
Then I set my EXT4 partition to about 100 GB and set that to "/".

If you can find that much room on your HD, it will format it and install it.

You just want to be careful and it should go OK.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here in the forums to help you.

Breambutt
June 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure if it supports it.. :confused: i haven't really dealt with hardware much.. is it a feature only in certain newer PC?
Not exactly the latest trend anyway. All my mobos have had the option for as long as I can remember, which is sadly limited to AM2 socket boards. If it's not 5+ years old mobo it probably works. Enter BIOS and look around before doing anything drastic.