PDA

View Full Version : bash & ssh

Drenriza
June 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Is it possible to write a bash script, where you ssh as root to a server. And then from the script, type in the pre-defined root password.

Hope it makes sence.
Thanks on advance.

geirha
June 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Yes, but don't. Set up public key or hostbased authentication instead. http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/User_Authentication.html

Drenriza
June 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
from what ssh version is this possible?

since i cant find the following

/etc/ssh2/sshd2_config
/etc/ssh2/ssh2_config

files.

i can only in
/etc/ssh/ssh_config find a section

# PasswordAuthentication yes
is this = to
AllowedAuthentications password ?

also in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config
i can find
#PasswordAuthentication yes is this =
AllowedAuthentications password ?

Drenriza
June 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
bump

Drenriza
June 25th, 2010, 07:48 AM
bump

Zugzwang
June 25th, 2010, 11:09 AM
A line starting with "#" in configuration files is usually ignored by the respective program (as it marks a comment line). Public-key based logins should be activated by default, so there is normally no need to change the configuration files.

BTW, the reason why you didn't got any replies earlier is that probably nobody else ever messed with the configuration files so far because that feature usually just works straight out-of-the-box.

mainerror
June 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM
BTW, the reason why you didn't got any replies earlier is that probably nobody else ever messed with the configuration files so far because that feature usually just works straight out-of-the-box.

This and because his post is not readable. I was not able to figure out what he was trying to ask by scattering up his post.

Drenriza
June 28th, 2010, 08:06 AM
This and because his post is not readable. I was not able to figure out what he was trying to ask by scattering up his post.

Well, thats unfurtiant.

But the question is,

Is it possible to write a bash script, where you ssh as root to a server. And then from the script, type in the pre-defined root password.

Hope it makes sence.
Thanks on advance.

what iam asked in the guide to do is then

To enable password authentication, make sure that the AllowedAuthentications field of the /etc/ssh2/sshd2_config and /etc/ssh2/ssh2_config configuration files contain the parameter password:

AllowedAuthentications password
Other authentication methods can be listed in the configuration files as well.

But i can only find

/etc/ssh/ssh_config
/etc/ssh/sshd_config

I do not know if i have an older SSH version then the one in the "guide". It would make sense.

/etc/ssh/ssh_config
In this file i find a section, as follows.
# PasswordAuthentication yes

I then ask. Is this section # PasswordAuthentication yes
equal to AllowedAuthentications password which is in the guide.
http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/Password_Authentication.html

What i mean with this is, Do they do the same?

I don't find what i previously typed, un-readable. Maybe hard because of all the code /code tags.
But hey was short on time and was busy. So that was what i ended up with.

Thanks on advance

Zugzwang
June 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM
@Drenriza: First of all, as already said, forget about changing the configuration file unless it does not work. I must say that I've never seen a Linux distribution in which the whole thing doesn't work straight of-the-box. Then, try to "set up public key or hostbased authentication instead.".

In about 95% of the cases, Linux documentation you find on the web is outdated. This is probably because older versions of the documentation have more links, so they rank higher on google (just a guess). For this reason, you should always look on the official pages first. Note that the documentation at "http://www.ssh.com/support/documentation/online/ssh/adminguide/32/User_Authentication.html" has copyright 2003, so it is highly likely to be outdated. You can try some more recent tutorial: "http://www.debuntu.org/ssh-key-based-authentication". Ok, that one is from 2007, but it might still be fine.

For your reference, I'll also add some information why geirha considered your post to be unreadable.

Geirha writes:

Yes, but don't. Set up public key or hostbased authentication instead. http://www.ssh.com/support/documenta...ntication.html

Then you write:

from what ssh version is this possible?

since i cant find the following

/etc/ssh2/sshd2_config
/etc/ssh2/ssh2_config

files.

The point is that people will not see the connection between these missing files and the public-key or hostbased authentification as your question only makes sense after actually following the link. But almost nobody would do so since everyone would assume that the site contains data about how to setup this thing, which many people know already how to do (so they won't follow the link). And for doing so, there is no messing with configuration files necessary, so nobody can draw the connection between these filenames and the issue you are having. So it might have been wise to start your reply with something like "According to the site you linked to, the first step is to configure ssh accordingly.", so that everyone knows the context. Finally, this "PasswordAuthentication" has nothing to do with public-key or hostbased authentification, which is another source of confusion.