PDA

View Full Version : What is your audio get up?

rob22941
June 22nd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Alright I listen to a lot of music, 95% of the time via my pc with a pair of Sennheiser HD428 phones. I have no dedicated sound card only the Asus motherboard headphone jack. I'd like to get a sound card maybe a 24bit and a dedicated set of speakers 5.1. I'd like to know what some of you are running audio wise on your systems like speaker sets and what sound card you have. :guitar:

Spr0k3t
June 22nd, 2010, 08:03 AM
Speaker wise... Altec Lansing ACS 56 (best set they ever made).

Audio card wise, onboard ASUS (Intel 82801JI, ICH10 family)

I used to run Soundblaster before I made the switch over to Linux... but that was wow, before the Audigy card came out. Not a fan of CreativeLabs since their support for Linux is almost as good as the opensource support from nVidia.

Breambutt
June 22nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Speaker wise... Altec Lansing ACS 56 (best set they ever made).
Ghöhhöh, I used to have those aeons ago, probably stored somewhere. Wanna buy another pair? It was downright impossible to listen to music with them, "blurry mess" would be an understatement and that coupled with the overwhelming bass... HULK SMASH! I suppose some gamers wouldn't mind.

This machine's sporting M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and a curious pair of (M-Audio) Studiophile DX4 active monitors and AKG K 242 HD headphones. I'm a poor buttnugget so my audio gear's mainly affordable stuff that physically fits on the desktop and doesn't eat up half of the entire apartment.

I don't really get those 5.1 systems for music and even the choice of optimal stuff is largely dependant on what kind of music you listen to, wouldn't really recommend my monitors or headphones for fans of retar... garb... electronic music or even unsophisticated metalheads. Bal-Sagoth and their fat & dissonant chords on the other hand sound great.

Anyway, the M2496 is a rather popular card and fairly affordable too, fully capable of 5.1 as well.

rob22941
June 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Has anyone experience with Logitech X-540 speakers? Pros/Cons?

CharlesA
June 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
I've got a set of those for my desktop, they sound really good when playing video games as well as movies.

They have the "maxtrix" setting to make 2 channel sound come from all the speakers.

I haven't really ran into any flaws and I've had them for a while.

Breambutt
June 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I don't mean to sound like a party pooper; it just turns out like that because I actually am one, but...

In that price range I doubt it matters much which ones you buy. They're all plastic jars and reading online reviews about them just shows that most people simply are unable of objective critical reviewing and it's a clear indication that they have nothing better to compare their experience with.

Pros: Logitech, price.
Cons: Logitech, price.

Aren't I the clever one. I used to have a set of 2 Logitech desktop speakers that seemed similar in specs to those and even my butt-ugly 15+ years old IBM plastic jars sounded better. Seeing that you have decent Sennheiser headphones, you'll probably just end up using those more.

But then again, there's always the oddball chance. Good luck with the search anyway, would be great if you actually managed to hear those things live somewhere.

Phrea
June 22nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Card: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Headphones: 12 year old Sony MDR-V300 Studio Monitor

I have a very cheap Logitech 5.1 speakerset [Z-640], but I hardly ever use it, 99% of the time I'll be using my beloved headphones.

Austin25
June 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
I have an hp tx2, which has some sort of Altec Lansing. The speakers, like most laptop speakers, aren't that great. I use some in-ear earbuds, which have better quality.

YuiDaoren
June 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
My audio doesn't get up, it just lays there and sighs.

Some cheap on-board chip (Realtek ALC888 ), some cheap Cyber Acoustics external speakers (CA-3080RB), headphones so very cheap that they're not even branded.

Yet it all sounds pretty good. I mean, we're not talking Bose or Blaupunkt good, but nice enough.

Frogs Hair
June 22nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Boston speakers with sub woofer and a pulse audio equalizer.