PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu with or without plymouth for 10.10

5dolla
June 22nd, 2010, 01:57 AM
I was wondering how many people actually want this piece o crap in the future of
Ubuntu.

Dustin2128
June 22nd, 2010, 02:06 AM
Plymouth in ubuntu 10.10 or not? It's open source; you decide.

5dolla
June 22nd, 2010, 02:09 AM
interesting. I think the idea of Plymouth is genuine. but ready for a distro as widely used as Ubuntu hardly.

Bachstelze
June 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
Haters are hating, good enough reason to keep it.

Simian Man
June 22nd, 2010, 02:27 AM
They're surely not going to remove it after putting it into the long term release version, so you can forget about that.

RiceMonster
June 22nd, 2010, 02:35 AM
"Yes Please keep Plymouth it rock even tho most of us can't use it"

Such an unbiased poll. No loaded options here.

SilverDragon
June 22nd, 2010, 03:02 AM
"Yes Please keep Plymouth it rock even tho most of us can't use it"

Such an unbiased poll. No loaded options here.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

Plymouth works fine for me.

FuturePilot
June 22nd, 2010, 03:19 AM
Biased poll is biased.

5dolla
June 22nd, 2010, 03:30 AM
no its not i use arch form my main os haha i just hate to see Ubuntu users suffer.

Bachstelze
June 22nd, 2010, 03:34 AM
no its not i use arch form my main os haha i just hate to see Ubuntu users suffer.

Dear Arch user, please go back to the Arch community. We appreciate your empathy, but rest assured we will be just fine without you.

Thanks

The Ubuntu users

V for Vincent
June 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM

God. Biased polls and Arch snobbery?

betrunkenaffe
June 22nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
Nothing to see here.

/thread

Paqman
June 22nd, 2010, 08:01 AM

-5 knowing-what-you're-talking-about points then.

Legendary_Bibo
June 22nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
What's plymouth? Isn't that the thing that has the purple screen that says "Ubuntu" and the five orange dots that turn white?

ad_267
June 22nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
For those of us that have no problem with Plymouth can you explain what's wrong with it?

but ready for a distro as widely used as Ubuntu hardly.

Heard of a distro called Fedora? Seems pretty widely used to me...

bruno9779
June 22nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Dear Arch user, please go back to the Arch community. We appreciate your empathy, but rest assured we will be just fine without you.

Thanks

The Ubuntu users

It is the 3rd hateful or about haters post I see from you today.

Are you doing fine Bachstelze?

By the way, aren't you an UF staff member anymore?

bryncoles
June 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
For those who don't know what he's talking about, you can check Plymouth's website here (http://www.visitplymouth.co.uk/), and (of course) gather more accurate (as in additional information which happens to be accurate, not information of an increased accuracy) from ol' reliable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth).

bruno9779
June 22nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
And, Plymouth sucks.

If I want plymouth to work properly I have to give up 3D acceleration.

If I want 3D acceleration my boot is uglier and buggier than it was in 6.10 and my TTYs have huge hugly fonts

The only workaround I found, using VESA, gives me a nice boot, 3D acceleration, but no TTYs!!!

This aren't choices an user should be forced to make.

Especially when Nvidia (probably the most used GPU in linux) said explicitly that they are never gonna support the modules required for plymouth to work properly.

EDIT: oh, I almost forgot, my boot times have more than doubled. Canonical is better come up with something, I am getting increasingly frustrated and, as many others, I am thinking to change to some other distro. (Arch?)

betrunkenaffe
June 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Canonical is better come up with something

Oooo, I swear I just heard the entirety of canonical drop their lunch plates and run to fix that with the provided solution.

Other than the "installed nvidia drivers and now looks huge" bug (which is fixable, found solution online with complete step by step), it does it's job and my computer starts.

Oh, and since that walkthrough to fix the poor resolution, my boot up looks even better than ever.

Simian Man
June 22nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
If I want plymouth to work properly I have to give up 3D acceleration.

If I want 3D acceleration my boot is uglier and buggier than it was in 6.10 and my TTYs have huge hugly fonts

The only workaround I found, using VESA, gives me a nice boot, 3D acceleration, but no TTYs!!!

This aren't choices an user should be forced to make.

Especially when Nvidia (probably the most used GPU in linux) said explicitly that they are never gonna support the modules required for plymouth to work properly.

Here's how plymouth + Nvidia work for me (on Fedora):

If I use the open source Nouveau driver I get a great looking boot screen, good TTYs and basic 3D support - fast enough to run compiz but not 3D games.

If I install the Nvidia driver, and add 0x318 to my boot parameters then I get good looking boot screen, good TTYs and great 3D support. I have no idea why you would have no TTYs at all; I'd file a bug with Ubuntu.

BTW I fully expect the Nouveau and Gallium projects to improve quickly. I expect we will no longer need Nvidia drivers for a great gaming experience on Linux. Until Linux gets some better games that is :).

MadCookie
June 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
If they can make plymouth work properly, I thikn they should keep it :P

cbrunhaver
June 23rd, 2010, 12:42 AM
time for burg + plymouth?

samjh
June 23rd, 2010, 01:49 AM
Plymouth works for me also. Even when it didn't work, it didn't stop the computer from booting, so I don't why it should be dumped.

RiceMonster
June 23rd, 2010, 02:07 AM
If I install the Nvidia driver, and add 0x318 to my boot parameters then I get good looking boot screen, good TTYs and great 3D support..

Cool, haven't heard of that boot parameter. I'll have to try that. The VGA fall back on Fedora doesn't look great, but I actually don't mind it.

Simian Man
June 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Cool, haven't heard of that boot parameter. I'll have to try that. The VGA fall back on Fedora doesn't look great, but I actually don't mind it.

You actually have to put "vga=0x318" and the number could differ depending on the resolution you want/your setup supports. You can see a chart here (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html). 0x318 is 1024x768 with 24 bit colors which should work pretty much everywhere. This just forces vga to use a certain screen resolution which not only improves the fallback boot graphics, but also increases the screen resolution on your virtual terminals.

kevdog
June 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Where do you add these parameters to? xorg.conf?

FuturePilot
June 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM

You actually have to put "vga=0x318" and the number could differ depending on the resolution you want/your setup supports. You can see a chart here (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html). 0x318 is 1024x768 with 24 bit colors which should work pretty much everywhere. This just forces vga to use a certain screen resolution which not only improves the fallback boot graphics, but also increases the screen resolution on your virtual terminals.

VGA= is deprecated in Grub2. You have to use GRUB_GFXMODE=WxH in combination with GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=WxH or in some cases only GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=WxHxD. (GRUB_GFXMODE and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD did not work for me, but GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX did.)

Simian Man
June 23rd, 2010, 05:42 PM
Where do you add these parameters to? xorg.conf?

No, they're boot parameters so they must be given to the kernel at boot-time by your bootloader. For grub1, which is used with Fedora, you just append them to the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf. I have no idea what grub2 uses since I haven't used it before.

VGA= is deprecated in Grub2. You have to use GRUB_GFXMODE=WxH in combination with GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=WxH or in some cases only GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=WxHxD. (GRUB_GFXMODE and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD did not work for me, but GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX did.)
OK, like I said I haven't used grub2. I wasn't trying to provide support, but to explain how Plymouth works for me. So Ubuntu users don't try what I said!

RiceMonster
June 23rd, 2010, 05:51 PM

Oh right, I have used that before. Don't know why I don't think to use it with plymouth.

FuturePilot
June 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
OK, like I said I haven't used grub2. I wasn't trying to provide support, but to explain how Plymouth works for me. So Ubuntu users don't try what I said!

Oh I must have missed that part. Anyways just a little FYI. ;)

Lucradia
June 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Plymouth in ubuntu 10.10 or not? It's open source; you decide.

You can't remove plymouth in ubuntu. Doing so causes your system not to boot.

Plymouth is even installed via mini.iso.

FuturePilot
June 23rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
It's funny how people were practically begging for Plymouth a few releases ago and now OMG IT'S TEH EVILS!!!. Same with Grub2 but that's a different thread.

bondo101
June 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Plymouth was a car not a splash screen , it had its own splash called the road runner and it went beep beep . The splash screen is butt ugly . How bout a picture of the Meercat holding a Tux. Or have a design contest to see Whoooo could come up with a better splash screen. When the Meercat comes out in Oct.
just my 2 cents worth.:lolflag:):P

MichealH
June 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Although this thread may of caused offence.I have to have my say: I dont like plymouth because, well I have to echo blacklist vgas and all that nosence and it still wont show me that sexy ubuntu logo.

NightwishFan
June 23rd, 2010, 10:49 PM
Plymouth has more advantages than just a boot theme. I believe it takes advantage of KMS which within the year should be nearly universal.

MichealH
June 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
Plymouth has more advantages than just a boot theme. I believe it takes advantage of KMS which within the year should be nearly universal.

One issue, IN ONE YEAR? Why impliment it now than in 1 year? If I needed to reinstall ubuntu 1 hour is made od me having to rebuild initramfs and xorg just to get a ok ish resolution and a plymouth screen worth dying i mean running away for.

NightwishFan
June 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Not sure I follow you. Even now the git intel drivers require kernel mode setting. Flicker free boot and animations it also uses DRM. Hopefully we can get it sorted out its a welcome innovation.

Legendary_Bibo
June 24th, 2010, 12:24 AM
The only problem I have with plymouth is that it's always stuck in a low resolution (not my desktop screen, it's normal). I used "start-up manager" to fix it but it didn't do anything. Oh well I only see it for a few seconds on bootup and shutdown.

Also I would like to ask a question to the guys talking about boot parameters and stuff like that.

How the hell do you guys know that stuff?!\\:D/

NightwishFan
June 24th, 2010, 04:01 AM
This solves the "no or brief splash" problem for me. First run:

sudo su
Then:

echo FRAMEBUFFER=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash
Finally this and reboot.

update-initramfs -u

Works like a charm, though I am on an intel chip.

Perfect Storm
June 24th, 2010, 04:28 AM
I fixed plymouth to look grerat with my nvidia card + restricted driver with this guide (for nvidia and ATI restricted drivers): http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Fix-the-Big-and-Ugly-Plymouth-Logo-in-Ubuntu-10-04-140810.shtml

Spr0k3t
June 24th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I vote to take the path of the fastest possible boot time. Whichever route that may be. Also, remove the hard dependancy of mountall so plymouth can be removed without ramifications.

Breambutt
June 24th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Never seen the splash, not even after a "fix" which managed to temporarily break my display doodie even further. Sometimes it even hangs during boot time for some reason.

Oh well, couldn't really care less. Natural curiosity factor just kicked in.

bruno9779
June 27th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I fixed plymouth to look grerat with my nvidia card + restricted driver with this guide (for nvidia and ATI restricted drivers): http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Fix-the-Big-and-Ugly-Plymouth-Logo-in-Ubuntu-10-04-140810.shtml

Great!! Everything works now, TTYs included.

I wonder why these operations aren't made by the Hardware Driver install process just after installing the proprietary drivers