PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Most of my app icons are blue

goanna300
June 22nd, 2010, 12:18 AM
As I look at my Lucid Menu Bar, I see 6 icons at present. 5 of those 6 are blue: help, Chromium, Empathy, Terminal Server Client and Thunderbird. The sixth (Opera) is a welcome red.
I don't care what colours they are; I just want to pick the right app without squinting at my netbook. It's a productivity issue.
[call me an aesthete, but when in a car park I look for my yellow Toyota Hilux by its colour, then shape].
I've failed to change these default icons. I don't like Netbook Remix. I've also tried to create my own launchers but somehow it now seems harder to change the a launcher's icon in Lucid.
Steve:confused:

yossell
June 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
right click the icon on the panel
choose properties
click on the icon on the "launcher properties" dialogue that appears.
A whole bunch of png files should come up, the icons for other applications.
Choose one of a suitably different colour.
Click open.
And that should do it.
At least - it worked for me.

I guess that if you're feeling adventurous, you could use gimp to recolour a familiar icon (it's just a click and a slider) and point the shortcut there - I haven't tried it so can vouch that it will work though. Saving in the folder containing the other png files will require some sudo-ing, but it should be feasible.

Hope this helps.

goanna300
June 23rd, 2010, 11:40 PM
right click the icon on the panel

click on the icon on the "launcher properties" dialogue that appears.
Thanks, Yossel,
I had read and tried that technique over & over and been trying a *right*-click on the icon - and getting no contextual menu, of course. (I was so busy blaming a dodgy mouse-button I failed to read the instructions clearly].
But to be fair, there is a little design issue here:
Whenever my cursor hovers icons or clickable markup, I find it more intuitive if it turns to a hand-symbol. Otherwise I try the right mouse-button.
I will now create a spectrum of colours for mt icons.

Steve