PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye powerpoint (old way), hello Prezi !

madjr
June 21st, 2010, 11:22 PM
this is the future of presentations

no more old boring powerpoint presentations and need of bloated/costly office 2007/10 or upgrades

these work on any OS, embeds on any site, easily shared, already hosted, etc.

but the main features is how easy is to make and cool they are, check it out:

cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj2v_QJym0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEUNahHNXc

example1 low on media:
http://prezi.com/wvkmvr479zbw/benefits-of-prezi/

example2 heavy on media:
http://prezi.com/23728/view/

introduction / prezi main site:
http://prezi.com/

to me pp is officially deadz

beastrace91
June 21st, 2010, 11:42 PM
This is flipping neat! I was literally just taking a break from making a power point presentation I was giving tomorrow - going to stay up tonight and see if I can get one of these working instead... Add some flair to what I have :D

~Jeff

K.Mandla
June 22nd, 2010, 12:13 AM
Umm. ... Not particularly attractive. It's kind of like watching TV with someone who is an impulsive channel switcher.

beastrace91
June 22nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
Have you played with it at all madjr? If so any idea how I can rotate my screen view without a multi-touch panel as my tablet does not fully support that yet?

~Jeff

Legendary_Bibo
June 22nd, 2010, 12:45 AM
odd, the online version wouldn't work for me.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 22nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
I think the better approach is to stop impulsively accompanying every presentation with a redundant “visual aid” that distracts from your point and wastes at least ten minutes at a time.

Legendary_Bibo
June 22nd, 2010, 12:58 AM
I think the better approach is to stop impulsively accompanying every presentation with a redundant “visual aid” that distracts from your point and wastes at least ten minutes at a time.
I've had teachers with presentations that were white with black text only. The class would always grow bored and fall asleep. Trust me, a lot of presentations need visual aid. Their example for Calculus was a great example of a subject that could use non-linear presentations though. :D

beastrace91
June 22nd, 2010, 01:01 AM
that could use non-linear presentations though. :D

Don't get me wrong I think perzi is really neat (building something in it now), but using hyperlinks OOO Presentation/Powerpoint can both create non-linear presentations.

~Jeff

orlox
June 22nd, 2010, 02:38 AM
I've had teachers with presentations that were white with black text only. The class would always grow bored and fall asleep. Trust me, a lot of presentations need visual aid. Their example for Calculus was a great example of a subject that could use non-linear presentations though. :D

A lot of presentations need visual aid, that's right, but that doesn't mean adding unnecesary bloat.
If you need to have your classes jumping around in order to keep your students awake, then either you're not a good speaker, or you don't have good students. If any of those is true, then your students will be getting asleep anyways by the third class...

Good visual aid, goes in the line of using simple colors and very simple animations (like for instance, going step by step on mathematical proofs or anything in the line of that). A simple static template can help, but I think it's in no way mandatory.

Besides, linearity has many advantages. Like, how the hell would you publish a prezi presentation to be printed by students. Or an actual case I had after seeing a prezi presentation, it's awfully unpractical to tell someone to go back to that expression that was after the triple turning and the double zoom out...

Linye
June 22nd, 2010, 02:47 AM
That is awesome.

madjr
June 22nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
A lot of presentations need visual aid, that's right, but that doesn't mean adding unnecesary bloat.
If you need to have your classes jumping around in order to keep your students awake, then either you're not a good speaker, or you don't have good students. If any of those is true, then your students will be getting asleep anyways by the third class...

Good visual aid, goes in the line of using simple colors and very simple animations (like for instance, going step by step on mathematical proofs or anything in the line of that). A simple static template can help, but I think it's in no way mandatory.

Besides, linearity has many advantages. Like, how the hell would you publish a prezi presentation to be printed by students. Or an actual case I had after seeing a prezi presentation, it's awfully unpractical to tell someone to go back to that expression that was after the triple turning and the double zoom out...

you don't need to make triple turning and double zoom

you can make them pretty linear too if you so want

i havent tried printing yet, but am sure they have some ways to get it done effectively, i'll check it out.

Detonate
June 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
This could be very useful for creating "howto's". Insert edited screenshots, with notes.