PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Disappearing Panel

robobart
June 21st, 2010, 10:39 PM
Sometimes on login my Gnome Panel is missing.

I've been running Ubuntu since 6.04 and haven't seen stuff like this. Did 10.04 come out too soon??

Thanks!

wilee-nilee
June 21st, 2010, 11:35 PM
Sometimes on login my Gnome Panel is missing.

I've been running Ubuntu since 6.04 and haven't seen stuff like this. Did 10.04 come out too soon??

Thanks!

This post will not help you get any answers, be more specific.

robobart
June 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM
Sorry -

when the panel disappears, I try:

alt-f2

and then

gnome-panel

but the panel does not appear.

Any thoughts as what could be causing this?

wilee-nilee
June 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
I don't have any answers other then we don't know any tweaking you might have done to your OS, or if the install was just not a clean one, or if it is driver issue of some sort.
I don't think that command is a correct one. You might just try setting the startup applications 2nd tab to save sessions when you have the panel showing.

killall gnome-panel
will probably restart it even when not seen, then save the session.

Here is a link that may help.
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/GNOME.html

I think your problem is isolated to your setup, and none of us know what that setup is or as I said any tweaking you have done, but maybe if your lucky, somebody can help you.

robobart
June 22nd, 2010, 12:33 AM
I think your suggestion will work,

But here is another clue. It happened again, so I used alt-f2 to start a terminal.

Then I tried to start the panel with

gnome-panel

I got this back:

Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.

then I decided to move my mouse all the way to the bottom of the screen and click around, after a moment, the panel appeared!

As far as tweaks are concerned, I am running a desktop terminal via devilspie (which also doesn't show up when this happens) but that is about it.

Thanks for the suggestions!