PDA

View Full Version : Development has Picked up On F-Spot and The Changes Are Good

GMU_DodgyHodgy
June 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM
As maligned as F-Spot is it is now up to release 0.7.0. It has fixed a lot of bugs - is much faster and seems to moving in the right direction. Given that Shotwell is still feature abridged and is not as stable as F-Spot - I am wondering if Canonical should reconsider it's plans to replace F-Spot.

betrunkenaffe
June 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
Don't care which is default, as long as it works. If that means one is delayed in perpetuity to see one fully functional, then so be it. Support one and run with it, including taking up full development if it's going too slow.

t0p
June 21st, 2010, 11:58 PM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 8.04 on my home machine (yeah yeah, I know a new LTS release is out... one of these days, when I can be bothered, I'll upgrade... but in the meantime...) which means I use F-Spot 0.4.3.1. Real old version, right? I ought to upgrade to a newer version or switch to something else, right? Thing is, F-Spot in Hardy does what I want it to do. It manages my ~/Photos directory just fine, and if I want to edit my images I can use the Gimp.

I'm not disputing the claim that the latest F-Spot is good. I'm sure it's grrreat. But just cos something is good, doesn't mean something else is bad. Right?

Dragonbite
June 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
As maligned as F-Spot is it is now up to release 0.7.0. It has fixed a lot of bugs - is much faster and seems to moving in the right direction. Given that Shotwell is still feature abridged and is not as stable as F-Spot - I am wondering if Canonical should reconsider it's plans to replace F-Spot.

I've heard there's some new blood in the F-Spot team. I look forward to seeing it improve.

Since there is so much controversy over Mono, I have no qualms about removing the Mono programs from the default list SO LONG AS they are fully available in the repos with the latest versions available and the "replacement" is actually a full replacement and not a "at least it's not Mono" excuse.

Shotwell is good, but it isn't good enough in my opinion. Too many features and capabilities are missing. I haven't tested it yet, but I've heard that it doesn't handle all of the media formats yet, which is a killer-bug in my opinion (if it exists).

Rythmbox is an adequate music player and I don't see the need to replace it with Banshee. There isn't enough "different" about them to put one over the other. Maybe if/when Banshee can play video formats, but I haven't gotten that to work on my machine yet.

I do notice a slight slowing with Mono-based apps, so I hope F-Spot 0.7 and updates to the other Mono apps will improve upon this.

I prefer to store my pictures on a centralized server which I want my Photo manager to access and import (save) files into as if they were a local drive.

wojox
June 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
I downloaded Shotwell seem better so far.