PDA

View Full Version : Can't install Ubuntu Lucid netbook

drmiho
June 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Hi guys,
I tried to install Ubuntu netbook remix Lucid on a Lenovo IdeaPad netbook with an Intel Atom processor and a SSD HD 4 GB and a SATA HDD of 160 GB. The installation starts normally, but stops on step 3 of 7, where I choose my keyboard layer...it never passes on to step 4 of 7. I must mention that I had a corrupted installation of Windows XP running on it...I made an USB bootable disk, and everything goes fine untill step 3 of 7. Does anybody have any idea?
Thanks

ajgreeny
June 21st, 2010, 10:42 PM
Is the iso file you used good? Did it boot properly to the gnome or UNR desktop? You should check the file against the listed md5sum figure shown in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes.

If the .iso is OK you should write it again to the usb drive and try again.
How did you write to the usb drive; with unetbootin?

drmiho
June 21st, 2010, 10:52 PM
I used the startup disk creator in Sytem/Administration. The iso must be ok since I tried it on my laptop and it works.

hobocaver
June 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Hi I also installed UNR, but on an Asus 1201 with AMD processor, would not boot. In these forums I found a suggestion that Unetbootin was not loading the MBR properly. I can only give a vague format for the command I used. dd if/ of /dev/sdb The if line moves a MBR to the USB, /dev/sdb on my machine. UNR then booted perfectly and works fantasticly.