PDA

View Full Version : Menus & Toolbars Preferences

jubuntus
February 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Hi all you mad Ubuntumeisters.
As I am sure we all agree, defaults matter. And one default I do not like and would like to know if I am a minority is the selection of "Text below icons" for the Menus & Toolbars Preference. My vote goes for "Text beside icons". I think both are necessary (text and icons) but I think "Text beside icons" conserves more screen real estate.
What do you think?

Lynx
February 12th, 2005, 05:16 PM
My personal preference is Icons only, I know what they all stand for and that's all that matters.

y6FgBn)~v
February 14th, 2005, 05:52 AM
I too prefer icons only, if I'm not sure I just hover the cursor and let tool tips tell me.

Jad
February 14th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I prefer text and Icons below it

MrRoboto
February 14th, 2005, 01:24 PM
icons only

Buffalo Soldier
February 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
text beside icon

ups
February 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I prefer Icons only, but with tooltips, since when I'm unsure, I just hover over the button. Otherwise, with the standard (open, save etc.) I get used to them and dont need the text anymore.

As for the default, I think the current one is fine. You can just tweak it for your needs, its not difficult at all.

KiwiNZ
February 16th, 2005, 09:00 AM
I confess that I don't really think about this I go with the default . But now that I am thinking about it I may mess with them a bit.

kassetra
February 16th, 2005, 05:43 PM
On a brand new application I've never used before, I like text under the icons... but usually I don't have any text -- I rely on the icons, and if I forget, I hover over the icons.

Yet another reason for the Gnome HIG to be followed better. heh.

Yukonjack
February 17th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I confess that I don't really think about this I go with the default . But now that I am thinking about it I may mess with them a bit.

Hehehe never dawn on me but now that I read this post, icons only would be my choice.