PDA

View Full Version : Books. Need some help here.

dragos240
June 21st, 2010, 05:02 PM
I purchased lucky star book 1 yesterday, and I'm looking at every other softcover book. They all have curves on the sides, the pages get torn and wrinkled. How do some people keep their books in near mint condition?

samalex
June 21st, 2010, 05:07 PM
What's Lucky Star Book 1? Is it a comic, paperback novel, or what?

For Comics I keep all mine boarded, bagged, and boxed in boxes that fit great in my closet. As for paperback novels, those stay on my bookshelf, but many have been bought used or I've read a few times so the spines are creased and pages dog eared. I think that makes an old novel even that much more appealing :)

Okay, I just Googled 'Lucky Star Book 1', and I don't guess it's either a comic or a paperback novel. After seeing it on a few sites, I still have to ask, what the heck is it ???

Sam

doas777
June 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM
buy the tabukan, but read the scanilation. just leave teh book on the shelf, and it will stay nicely mint.

@sam, it's a manga (japanese comics) volume (10 or so issues).

samalex
June 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
buy the tabukan, but read the scanilation. just leave teh book on the shelf, and it will stay nicely mint.

@sam, it's a manga (japanese comics) volume (10 or so issues).

Ahh, I've seen the Manga sections at the book shops I frequent but never got into it.

Sam

gnomeuser
June 21st, 2010, 05:16 PM
I keep them properly shelved when not in active use, other than that it is just treating the book well during reading. E.g. I always use a slim insert bookmark instead of dogearing or leaving the book open upside down. Just use a strip of paper or something.

Barrucadu
June 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM
A friend of mine keeps them packed in a large box (of which he has several, he has a lot of manga) and, when reading them, opens the books the minimum amount required to read all of the content on every page, to preserve the spine.

I personally think that if a book doesn't look a bit battered, dog-eared, and creased, it's unloved :P

ubunterooster
June 21st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Go to Wal*Mart (or equal for your area) and get some clear plastic laminate. It takes some practice but looks good when done right

LowSky
June 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM
I like my books with creases in the spines and dog-eared pages. It means I read them and found their informatin more important than how well they look.

I will even admit to throwing out dust covers. I actually like the old look of a book with no extra cover. Also it make my bookshelves seem classier.

MindSz
June 21st, 2010, 08:35 PM
Just keep them in a bookshelf away from extreme moisture or heat and they should be alright.