PDA

View Full Version : Firefox vs Konqueror

Reggaeton King
March 28th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Which browser do you prefer? I like starting discussions like this! lol

Luggy
March 28th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I've played around with Konqueror, Epithany and Firefox (granted, Epithany and Firefox much longer then Konqueror) and I have to say that while Epithany was a much faster browser then Firefox, I still use Firefox (primarily) due to one simple reason: The Extensions.

Not being able to use adblock or my other extensions really showed to me that while a browser can load pages faster if it doesn't have the user interface it just wont cut the mustard. ( user interface being how the user controlls and reacts with the browser, and not having to see ads really improves the user interface if you ask me!).

I think that if Epithany really wants to step it up they need to do some serious comitment to create clones of popular Firefox extensions or find some way to run Firefox extensions on Epithany.

IYY
March 28th, 2006, 07:19 AM
I use Epiphany on my slower machines (when Dillo does not suffice, that is) and Firefox on my fast one. Konqueror just doesn't feel right, even though it's quite fast.

NeoChaosX
March 28th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Firefox. Extensions, and I can't seem to get Flash sound to sync in Konqueror.

awakatanka
March 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM
I used firefox but found it funny that i almost had the same plugins that konqueror had standaard in.

I'm going to use konqueror more now, also because the spelling check it has, it handy on forums :p .

And firefox is to slow atm.

mostwanted
March 28th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I love Firefox, but after putting a system monitor widget on one of my panels I've begun to see how much memory it consumes (not right away, but after some time). If take into account that you have to restart the browser every once in a while to keep your system running fast, it's hands down the best browser, especially if you're a web developer (Gecko is the only renderer that gets practically everything right). Love the extension system too.

darkmatter
March 28th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Firefox.

Konqueror sucks. Heck... everything QT sucks, especially those things that begin with 'K' :mrgreen: :twisted:

*feels the flames*

ComplexNumber
March 28th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Firefox.

Konqueror sucks. Heck... everything QT sucks, especially those things that begin with 'K' :mrgreen: :twisted:

*feels the flames* you read my mind ;). the more i use konqueror et al, the stronger my belief (as stated above).

FISHERMAN
March 28th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Firefox because
-Extensions.
-Available on all major OS, so you don't always have to adapt to something new(Ff under Win at my work, and Ff under Ubuntu at home).
-I'm a Gnome user and I try to avoid running KDE-applications under Gnome.

PatrickMay16
March 28th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Firefox. Extensions, and I can't seem to get Flash sound to sync in Konqueror.
I can't get Flash sound to sync at all. Have you managed to get sound to sync in the flash player plugin for Mozilla/Firefox?

By the way, my opinion is, Firefox is the best browser, but not so good if you have a slower machine. It's pretty customisable, and has loads of extensions available.

Konqueror is nice, but being combined with the file manager so tightly really ruined it for me when it came to configuring it. Things I'd specify in the konqueror settings which I did to make file managing nicer would also take effect in web browsing and vice versa, which I didn't want.
Konqueror makes a great file manager, but a not so good web browser. Maybe if they seperated the web browser and file manager components, this wouldn't be a problem.

In some topic recently someone said something about running links2 with the "-g" option, and I tried that out. That was useful for my slower machine.

Stormy Eyes
March 28th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I can't get Flash sound to sync at all. Have you managed to get sound to sync in the flash player plugin for Mozilla/Firefox?

What kind of sound card have you got? I have an Audigy2 and make sure to disable the software mixer, and I have no trouble with out-of-sync sound in Flash.

ComplexNumber
March 28th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Things I'd specify in the konqueror settings which I did to make file managing nicer would also take effect in web browsing and vice versa, which I didn't want. konqueror goes against the whole ethos of kde by limiting the user.

GeneralZod
March 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM
konqueror goes against the whole ethos of kde by limiting the user.

Agreed - as I said in another thread, someone needs to leave the ability to view html file in Konqueror intact (just for quick previews and stuff) but make a completely clean start with a separate KDE webbrowser - having it be part of Konqueror, which is a great File manager/ Swiss Army Knife, really hampers it's progress and bogs things down, in my opinion. Using Konqueror as a web browser is the worst part of KDE, for me, which is why I put up with Firefox's foibles (huge resource consumption; total lack of KDE integration; etc).

Oh, and on-topic - voted Firefox :)

htinn
March 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Firefox in a landslide (400,000,000 to 14,400,000).

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Firefox&word2=Konqueror

PatrickMay16
March 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
What kind of sound card have you got? I have an Audigy2 and make sure to disable the software mixer, and I have no trouble with out-of-sync sound in Flash.
I have a Creative Labs SB Live!. It's always worked fine in Linux, even with hardware midi synthesis.

If it's not so complicated to explain here, how would you go about disabling the software mixer?

endersshadow
March 28th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Firefox in a landslide (400,000,000 to 14,400,000).

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Firefox&word2=Konqueror

I was playing around and found this:

http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Linux&word2=Microsoft+Windows

:-D

Oh, and go go Firefox. I'm not a fan of how pervasive Konquerer is :-|

DigitalDuality
March 28th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Firefox most definately.

I don't like Konq period. Not for any of it's multiple functions.

Sheinar
March 28th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Konqueror is a great web browser (and other things), but it's lack of extensions, due to them needing to be written in C++ is quite a big disadvantage.

Unfortunately, I can't really pick between the two. There are certain disadvantages and advantages to Konqueror and the same goes for Firefox. I don't feel like racking my brain to pick apart each advantage and disadvantage to figure out which is the superior browser either.

BWF89
March 28th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Firefox > every other browser on the planet

Because of all the extensions that I just couldn't live without.

xXx 0wn3d xXx
March 29th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I use Swiftfox for my AMD processor (It's like firefox for AMD processors and you can use all the plugins, extensions, and themes) and it's twice as fast as Firefox. I've use Ephiphany (sp?) but it seemed unresponsive. Konqurer is kinda fast but it seems as though it doesn't belong. Sorry for my bad spelling but I'm really tired right now -_- I have used Firefox and besides Swiftfox it's the best browser.

aysiu
March 29th, 2006, 03:16 AM
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=36389

Jucato
March 29th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Firefox, by far, is a better web browser than Konqueror. Extensions, themes, security, etc. If they somehow manage to slim down it's resource usage a bit, it will definitely kick ***.

Having said that, I still use Konqueror 95% of the time (using Firefox for that remaining 5%), just because it works for me, because I like it the way it is, file manager and web browser in one. Ironically, I like Konqueror for the very same reasons why the previous posters said it sucked. :D

PatrickMay16: what settings were you talking about? AFAIK, in the Configure Konqueror dialog box, the "Behavior" settings affect only the web browsing settings, while the "Appearance" settings affect the file manager settings.

PatrickMay16
March 29th, 2006, 09:24 AM
PatrickMay16: what settings were you talking about? AFAIK, in the Configure Konqueror dialog box, the "Behavior" settings affect only the web browsing settings, while the "Appearance" settings affect the file manager settings.
The file association settings. I needed to change some things so when I clicked on a link to an MP3, midi, or other kind of audio file, it would give me a download prompt rather than open them in some player integrated into konqueror.
When I finally managed to have it set like that, I found it had messed up associations for some files.

vicks
March 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Konqueror for me. It's just blazingly fast compared to firefox (especially if you use the ubuntu build of Fx). I miss the exstensions, but a lot of the functionality that i got from exstensions while using firefox is built-in in konqueror (adblock, mousegestures). It the little tweaks you get from using exstensions that i miss. Hopefully we'll get proper exstensions in the future (kde4?). kde 3.5.2 has made khtml even faster, so this konq is my number one.