PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor resolution issue

harrystrent
June 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM
After installing the Nvidia proprietary drivers in Unbuntu 9.10 for my Geforce MX 4000 AGP the video resolution changed from 1024x768 to 800x600 on my off-brand 19" 1997 vintage CRT. When I click on "Display" in "Preferences" in order to change to a higher resolution I get this message: "It appears that your graphics driver does not support the necessary extensions to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?" When I click "Yes" the Nvidia X Server Settings window pops up. I've clicked on all the choices in the Nvidia X Server menu and can't seem to change anything. The CRT is identified as "LJX?" The question mark in the name makes me wonder if Ubuntu can't identify the monitor correctly and is just using some default, generic settings. I can certainly run this CRT at higher resolutions on the Windows side but Windows sees it a "generic monitor" so I would guess not as a plug and play compliant CRT.

Is there a file I can edit to force higher resultions? I'm not a complete noob to Ubuntu but please give detailed instructions if you have some advice. Thanks.

harrystrent
June 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Okay, I can't explain this but after rebooting into Windows, turning the machine off and then rebooting into Ubuntu all kinds of resolution choices are now available in Nvidia Xserver Settings. Its a miracle!