PDA

View Full Version : Is this weird ???

pirlo89
June 21st, 2010, 02:42 PM
http://www.linux.org/

look for the add in the upper right hand, does anyone else think that this add should not be there ?

spoons
June 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Why not?

CharlesA
June 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
It's a flash ad, who cares?

pirlo89
June 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
still, an add for windows on linux.org ??? that does not make any sense.

MasterNetra
June 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM
It's a flash ad, who cares?

+1

They're just tryin to pay the bills.

MasterNetra
June 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM
**Remove*** - accidental multi post

CharlesA
June 21st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Adverts are picked by the ad agency, not the site. You can blacklist ones, but why bother for something so trivial?

It's probably been picked due to Linux being an OS and Windows being an OS.

MindSz
June 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Well, I think that people who uses Linux has already gone through the Windows experience, so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

oldsoundguy
June 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Money is money. As long as an advertisement is truthful, why not make money off of Windows on a Linux centric site?

In the US, Microsoft has spent several millions of dollars recently advertising IE 8 as being "scammer proof" with it's little Phishing blocker. Millions including setting up a bogus bank in New York to show how people get scammed (basically because the general populace really does not have a clue!)

Millions being spent to "sell" something that they are giving away.

(The campaign is a feeble attempt to regain the majority in the browser field .. something that they lost months ago.)

And they are losing market share of the desktop market at the rate of between 1/2% to 1% PER MONTH.
Even with the advent of Win 7 (which is not all that bad), they continue to slowly slide. Win 7 is mostly a replacement program for Vista users .. and the use of Vista is falling like a stone. NOT MANY NEW users .. and that DOES include the pre-installed computers!

The Real Dave
June 21st, 2010, 02:55 PM
Adverts are picked by the ad agency, not the site. You can blacklist ones, but why bother for something so trivial?

It's probably been picked due to Linux being an OS and Windows being an OS.

Exactly, that's how GoogleAds work :)

Dayofswords
June 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
still, an add for windows on linux.org ??? that does not make any sense.

it just read parts and saw "operating system" and Microsoft has some ads for windows is all

block Microsoft ads would be anti competitive I think...

pirlo89
June 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM
Well i still think that its kinda weird. I mean, you don't put an add for Microsoft bing at Google's homepage.

Paqman
June 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
The ads are served up automatically based on a crawl of the page. They try and make them relevant to what they think the content is about, but Google's spiders are still pretty ignorant of the notoriously touchy sensibilities of Linux users.

samalex
June 21st, 2010, 03:33 PM
Years ago when Microsoft started advertising in Linux Journal and Linux Magazine lots of people had similar rants. But think of it this way, if someone's reading either magazine or visiting Linux.org, chances are they'll just look past the ad ... and some cash from MS is going to support a Linux organization which is always nice to see.

So honestly I don't have any problem with it.

Sam

2cute4u
June 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM
Well, I think that people who uses Linux has already gone through the Windows experience, so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

That's not always true. The closest I've ever come to using MSWindows, is web browsing on someone else's computer. Even then, the browser was always already open.

fatality_uk
June 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Well i still think that its kinda weird. I mean, you don't put an add for Microsoft bing at Google's homepage.

***sheesh!

As has been said, linux.org don't choose the ads. And lets face it, it's unlikely that a visitor to linux.org will be suddenly prompted to run out and get a copy of Win 7