PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptops

akshay2000
June 21st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hi.
I am currently using the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my desktop computer. It works fine. But, when I tried the Ubuntu desktop Live CD on one of the Compaq wide screen laptops, there were horizontal strips on the display. The display was in the form of strips. Also, a vertical strip, which should be on the right side (the one containing power button) was appearing on the left side and the whole screen image was shifted rightwards. When I moved the mouse pointer out of screen from right side, it appeared from left side.
What's wrong? Am I supposed to use the Netbook version?

dino99
June 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
that mean a chipset is not well recognized and give video issue: try to boot with nomodeset or/and acpi=off, irqpoll, lapic=off, apic=off or video=vesa

akshay2000
June 22nd, 2010, 08:03 AM
that mean a chipset is not well recognized and give video issue: try to boot with nomodeset or/and acpi=off, irqpoll, lapic=off, apic=off or video=vesa
Its a bit foolish, but what do you mean by that? Where do I enter those things. Only thing I know is go to BIOS and command it to boot from CD. Will you write detailed steps? Thanks in advance.
One more thing, am I right in using Desktop version with laptops? If yes, then what is NetBook version meant for?

Rubi1200
June 22nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
What type of graphics card do you have on the laptops?
Intel ATI Nvidia?

Depending on your answer, I may have a solution for you.

On another note:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notebook_computer#Notebook

One more thing, am I right in using Desktop version with laptops?

Answer=yes

lisati
June 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
akshay2000: please use the default font for your posts, and save the larger size for highlighting something.

akshay2000
June 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
What type of graphics card do you have on the laptops?
Intel ATI Nvidia?
I have Nvidia and a wide screen.

Rubi1200
June 23rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Ok, so you could try this:

Put the LiveCD in and boot up;

when you see the Ubuntu logo hit Enter;

Choose language and leave the default Try as a live cd or whatever it says again;

Important: hit F6 and then Esc to see the boot line

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Now, again this is important, move the cursor backwards and remove quiet splash;

Add the following parameter:

nomodeset

In other words, the boot should look like this:

file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz nomodeset --

Now hit Enter and hopefully you will be at the desktop admiring Lucid Lynx 10.04