PDA

View Full Version : SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop + 1 year standard subscription

e24ohm
June 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
Folks:
I need to learn SUSE for a client; however, I am a pro Ubuntu user, and know nothing of SUSE.

But my main question - what is the '1-year standard subscription"? Is this only for help support, or are updates included with this subscription? If the subscription is not renewed, are security updates still available?

ubunterooster
June 21st, 2010, 02:20 PM
I used OpenSUSE which has neither fee but I believe that the fee does apply to updates as well as support.

Edit: Yes, fee needs be paid "to get patches and updates" : P

e24ohm
June 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
I used OpenSUSE which has neither fee but I believe that the fee does apply to updates as well as support.

Edit: Yes, fee needs be paid "to get patches and updates" : P
is OpenSUSE the samething as Enterprise, but without the support?

ubunterooster
June 21st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Yes, and without the license to use as a professional workspace, but fine for home PCs

Dragonbite
June 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
I would suggest you should join the openSUSE forum, and use that as a resource for how to do things the SUSE way. Yes, the paid-for SUSE Linux Enterprise edition is different than openSUSE, but there are plenty of similarities too.

e24ohm
June 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
I would suggest you should join the openSUSE forum, and use that as a resource for how to do things the SUSE way. Yes, the paid-for SUSE Linux Enterprise edition is different than openSUSE, but there are plenty of similarities too.
Nah...that would be to easy. *smiles* thanks for the suggestion, and to tell you the truth. After your suggestion I have started researching over there.

thanks.

Dragonbite
June 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
Nah...that would be to easy. *smiles* thanks for the suggestion, and to tell you the truth. After your suggestion I have started researching over there.

thanks.

Oh, and don't be afraid of being an Ubuntu user in the openSUSE forums... I am and there are a number of other people there so don't worry (if they get nasty, give me a call... we'll gang up on 'em ;) )

e24ohm
June 21st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Oh, and don't be afraid of being an Ubuntu user in the openSUSE forums... I am and there are a number of other people there so don't worry (if they get nasty, give me a call... we'll gang up on 'em ;) )
Funny that you mention that, but that is what turned me off of the Fedora/Red Hat forum. I needed support on Fedora one time, since that OS handles Apache sites a little different. someone was making fun like "awww, you Ubuntu user...". Then everyone was like "google...it".

Thanks for the help again mate.
cheers

kaldor
June 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM
openSUSE dies too much. I wanted to abandon Ubuntu but switched to openSUSE. After a smooth ride for a while, it went to crap. Lots of issues. I suggest you just use SLED.

wojox
June 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM

Yes Dragondite always brings that up. :p

Download the KDE Version. It's the best I've ever seen.

I dual Boot Ubuntu 10.10 and openSUSE 11.2

Where did you did find that 1 year subscription.

All you have to know is the different package manager,

If you used Ubuntu for a year, you should pick it up in less than

a week.

gnomeuser
June 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM
If you need to learn SLED specfically openSUSE is a good but not perfect replacement. If you can afford it the 1 year subscription is worth the price. The support is very good and the product itself is regularly maintained (infact SLED11 just got a service pack update in the last month or so). You get access to all the updates you need as well as their support channels.

Dragonbite
June 21st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Funny that you mention that, but that is what turned me off of the Fedora/Red Hat forum. I needed support on Fedora one time, since that OS handles Apache sites a little different. someone was making fun like "awww, you Ubuntu user...". Then everyone was like "google...it".

Thanks for the help again mate.
cheers

I got that from the CentOS website. Fedora I haven't had too much trouble (yet) and openSUSE is usually friendly (similar to Ubuntu, or slightly friendlier).

Forums are definitely a public face of a distribution, and a Linux distro should best not neglect that.

e24ohm
June 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Yes Dragondite always brings that up. :p

Download the KDE Version. It's the best I've ever seen.

I dual Boot Ubuntu 10.10 and openSUSE 11.2

Where did you did find that 1 year subscription.

All you have to know is the different package manager,

If you used Ubuntu for a year, you should pick it up in less than

a week.I was looking at getting a copy of SUSE Enterprise Desktop, which sells for 50.00 USD with 1-year Standard support.