PDA

View Full Version : Email Signature ?

Rodney9
June 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
What would be a good email signature that I should send to my friends who use other OS's to advertises Linux ?

samalex
June 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'm not a huge fan of putting personal views too 'out there' in an email sig in general, though don't mind it so much in forums where there's a general topic, like this one. The main reason is when you correspond to someone via email what difference does it make that you're running Linux? Most just want their system to work, and in the cases where they're happy with Windows or have never heard of Linux, it's a moot point. If you correspond with IT people who have drawn their OS line in the sand years ago, putting something like "I use Linux so should you" as your tag line in every email make you look like a fanboy.

The simplest medium I could suggest is just have a quote from someone in the open source community. Something like "The desire to be rewarded for one's creativity does not justify depriving the world in general of all or part of that creativity. " by Richard Stallman or "Any program is only as good as it is useful." by Linus Torvalds. This way you have an awesome quote that hopefully others will take to heart, but for those who do know about FOSS or Linux, they'll know you're 'one of them', if your goal is to advocate the meaning of FOSS or to let other like-minded open source users know you're one of the gang.

Personally I've used the Cliff Stoll quote "Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." in my email sig for years. He's one of my favorite authors and also I like the message his books convey, even though they're more than 10 years old.

Sam

Sam

K.Mandla
June 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
What would be a good email signature that I should send to my friends who use other OS's to advertises Linux ?
Something like this.

http://folk.uio.no/hpv/linuxtoons/dilbert-unix.png

Simian Man
June 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Don't. Email signatures beyond just your name are irritating. People who try to push their views on others are irritating. Operating system fanboys are irritating. Do you want to be irritating cubed?

ve4cib
June 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Don't. Email signatures beyond just your name are irritating. People who try to push their views on others are irritating. Operating system fanboys are irritating. Do you want to be irritating cubed?

I'll refine that opinion by saying that business/contact information is fine in a signature. Having your name, e-mail address, phone number, and company mailing address in the signature is fine in my books. It's neutral information, but useful to have, especially if you print the e-mail out or forward it to someone else who will need to get in contact with you.

The key there is neutral information. Personal views are not neutral, and therefore belong in the body of the e-mail, not in the signature.

If you could hook up a fortune-cookie style message generator to your e-mail signature that could be amusing; every time you send an e-mail the recipient would get a different fortune. Could be fun for personal e-mails, but I would certainly never do it for anything business-related.

Barrucadu
June 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM
For a while I just had my name, a link to my website, and a random quote from `fortune` in my signature, but a while ago I changed it to this:

Michael Walker (http://www.barrucadu.co.uk)

Arch Hurd Developer; GNU Webmaster; FSF member #8385
http://www.archhurd.org http://www.gnu.org http://www.fsf.org

Given that most of the people who I email / email me are (F)OSS users, it's ok. However, when emailing, say, a teacher (or anyone else completely unrelated to free software), I just use my name.

RiceMonster
June 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM

/thread

donkyhotay
June 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
If you could hook up a fortune-cookie style message generator to your e-mail signature that could be amusing; every time you send an e-mail the recipient would get a different fortune. Could be fun for personal e-mails, but I would certainly never do it for anything business-related.

Thats why you have a dedicated "business" Email account seperate from your regular personal Email address.

samalex
June 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Given that most of the people who I email / email me are (F)OSS users, it's ok. However, when emailing, say, a teacher (or anyone else completely unrelated to free software), I just use my name.

I live by this as well. Emails that are work related, for school, and to friends all get different sigs. Friends get a quote and maybe some customized info, work has business info and title, and school is more basic with just name, email addy, and location (online course so students are from all over).

Sam

Dayofswords
June 21st, 2010, 03:58 PM
hows just simply:

Sent from my Ubuntu box.

Cam42
June 21st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Signatures usually tend to just annoy me. I knew a kid who had 5, count 'em 5, lines of complete crap in his signature. Then another who had the entire lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody.
Also: See my forum sig.

samalex
June 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM
Signatures usually tend to just annoy me. I knew a kid who had 5, count 'em 5, lines of complete crap in his signature. Then another who had the entire lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody.

Yeah email sigs like that are crazy! At work I often see emails come across with literally 10 or more lines of disclaimers, which is nuts! Email is plain text traveling across an open, unencrypted network. A little disclaimer isn't going to stop someone from reading it mid-stream, and 99% of the time it's nothing important anyway.

I do think it'd be funny to put the entire GPL on the end of email messages (or at least snippets or a link - guess entire thing is nuts) to some just to note that the content is open to share with anyone :)

Sam

McRat
June 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM
hows just simply:

That sounds good. Or:

Generated from Ubuntu Linux 10.04.

Put it in a small italic font like a footnote.

I routinely get business emails with more than 7 lines in them, including the corporate logo.

Do you put headers on your snail mail letters?

Signatures and letterheads are a COURTESY you extend the reader so they do not have figure out who you are, what you do, or how to Call/Fax/Find you.

I often get:

Is my tune ready yet?

Josh.

Hey Josh? WTF are you? And how come you don't know how to write a letter?

ve4cib
June 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM
hows just simply:
Sent from my Ubuntu box

Because that's not tacky at all. It's pretty much just as bad as the "Sent from my iPhone" signature Apple uses. Every time I see those I cringe.

I don't care what kind of computer you use to send your e-mails. I doubt the recipients of the e-mails do either. You sent it. They got it. Does it really matter what you used to write it?

Nytram
June 21st, 2010, 06:56 PM
ive been using the following sig in my emails:

--