PDA

View Full Version : Wireless broadband

undecim
June 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'm looking to get mobile broadband. Mostly, I will use it when I'm doing house calls to fix computers so that I don't have to rely on someone else's internet connection if I need it. Speed isn't very important, and 5GB is plenty of data.

Specifically, though, I need one that works with Linux without any fuss. If it doesn't work with Ubuntu, then it's not an option.

If anyone has had any experience with broadband cards, I'd love to hear about it.

McRat
June 21st, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'm looking to get mobile broadband. Mostly, I will use it when I'm doing house calls to fix computers so that I don't have to rely on someone else's internet connection if I need it. Speed isn't very important, and 5GB is plenty of data.

Specifically, though, I need one that works with Linux without any fuss. If it doesn't work with Ubuntu, then it's not an option.

If anyone has had any experience with broadband cards, I'd love to hear about it.

One device I played with was the Sprint 4G Hotspot device. This a cute little device that acts just like a 802.11 wireless router that connects you via 3G (4G where available). Any computer that accepts 802.11 wireless (normal household wireless) and has a web-browser will be able to configure it. It's small, light, and rechargeable (or plugs in).

It was very easy to set up, and has a LCD display to give you status. I didn't use it with Linux, but it does not use drivers or installation software. If you can hook to a home wireless, you can hook to it. Speeds were about 900kbps down, and 700 up in our area.

samalex
June 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
I'd suggest a Mifi from Verizon (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=products_mifi). It's a wireless router that works through the cell network, but you can connect through your 802.11 wireless card on any device, whether it be Linux, Windows, Mac, smartphone, iWhatever, etc. I know a few folks who use it, and it's pretty nice. Also listening to This Week in Tech with Leo Laporte he's a huge fan of it.

I think the monthly cost is around $60/month which gives you 5 Gigs of monthly bandwidth, plus it has a 4 hour battery life. Also you can get one used on EBay for between $50 and $100 so you don't have to do a contract.

Sam

Paqman
June 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
If it doesn't work with Ubuntu, then it's not an option.

Probably not an up-to-date page, but you might want to check the 3G hardware compatibility (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G) page on the wiki.