PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how I can get some free RAM?

Legendary_Bibo
June 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM
Well I was really hoping that the RAM for my old dell would be cheap, but $50 for a gig is still too much for me. I'm broke...
I tried this place called freecycle.org (http://ubuntuforums.org/freecycle.org)
I'm hoping someone will have an old computer in my area that will have some parts I could use (A bigger HDD and better graphics card wouldn't hurt either :D )
Anyone got any other suggestions?
Also don't link me to that one website...
I wish there was a computer junkyard. :-k

dim3000
June 21st, 2010, 06:45 AM
Well I was really hoping that the RAM for my old dell would be cheap, but $50 for a gig is still too much for me. I'm broke...
I'm hoping someone will have an old computer in my area that will have some parts I could use (A bigger HDD and better graphics card wouldn't hurt either :D )

If you're feeling devious contact some major RAM manufacturers and tell them you're a computer engineering company looking to purchase large quantities of RAM for your computers. Before you make up our mind on which product fits us, we require a sample to test with our systems for speed and reliability.

Or something like that lol ;) .

Legendary_Bibo
June 21st, 2010, 06:51 AM
If you're feeling devious contact some major RAM manufacturers and tell them you're a computer engineering company looking to purchase large quantities of RAM for your computers. Before you make up our mind on which product fits us, we require a sample to test with our systems for speed and reliability.

It's so crazy it just might work!

I need credentials though.

dim3000
June 21st, 2010, 06:54 AM
It's so crazy it just might work!

I need credentials though.

Make some up, hey its worth a try a even if they investigate you, just say your definition of large quantities was enough for 2 computers lol.

I also want to try this when I have time with nVidia and their supreme graphics cards ;)

Legendary_Bibo
June 21st, 2010, 06:57 AM
Make some up, hey its worth a try a even if they investigate you, just say your definition of large quantities was enough for 2 computers lol.

I also want to try this when I have time with nVidia and their supreme graphics cards ;)

I'll just say they're very large desktop computers :D

dim3000
June 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
btw, mind messaging me if it actually works and you don't forget?

WinterRain
June 21st, 2010, 07:09 AM

Just google arizona electronic recycling, and you should be able to find a place near you. They will probably sell you a couple sticks pretty cheap. This is how I get any parts I need. There's your computer junkyard. ;)

Xbehave
June 21st, 2010, 07:38 AM
don't buy "dell ram" just find out what type you have and look on ebay, it'll be much cheaper.

Legendary_Bibo
June 21st, 2010, 08:11 AM
well I did that freecycle thing which is a yahoo group, and I searched for anyone giving away old computers, and just asked for them. I must have asked for like 10 computers!
...maybe that wasn't such a good idea, but it's time to make some frankenstein machines with the best for my dell. I actually might have better ones. :D

smellyman
June 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM
crack open your work pc.......

or better yet the office next door....:)

wojox
June 21st, 2010, 08:43 AM

That sounds like a good plan. I may have to try that one. :evil:

schauerlich
June 21st, 2010, 08:56 AM
Switch to fluxbox.

wait...

cascade9
June 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM

$50 a gig is too much, you can get 1GB DDR1 sticks for $35 from newegg (some with free shipping).

Just google arizona electronic recycling, and you should be able to find a place near you. They will probably sell you a couple sticks pretty cheap. This is how I get any parts I need. There's your computer junkyard. ;)

That will do it.

BTW, check the prices on RAM before you go ringing any of those places. Currently, at newegg, DDR1 256 is $13, 512 is $20-25, and 1Gb $35-40. You should be able to get away with paying half that (or even less).

ibuclaw
June 21st, 2010, 09:40 AM
Switch to fluxbox.

wait...

Switch to Openbox.

Oh, uhh... erm...

dragos240
June 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
All you have to do is find a friend who's throwing out his computer because of windows slowdown.

sdowney717
June 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
or convince a friend to upgrade their PC and give you parts.

Legendary_Bibo
June 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
uhhh that freecycle thing wasn't such a good idea. I had someone drop off some old *** laptop and an apple monitor when I got home from tutoring...The laptop is a POS, and the monitor doesn't work. WHY THE HELL WOULD I WANT AN APPLE MONITOR, ESPECIALLY ONE THAT DOESN'T WORK?! I can't even salvage parts from this laptop.

Tibuda
June 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM
Switch to fluxbox.

wait...

switch to bash.

wait...

Dustin2128
June 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM
Create an extremely large swap file.

Wait...

oldsoundguy
June 21st, 2010, 10:33 PM
eBay .... buy Kingston in an "as is" condition. If the stick is faulty, eMail Kingston and get an RMA and they will replace it for free.

LOTS do not know about the exchange and let the sticks go for 10 cents on the dollar when they have no way of testing them!

Last four memory purchases were done that way and out of 8 sticks .. only had to send one to Kingston as the others all WORKED.

themusicalduck
June 22nd, 2010, 12:21 AM
I second getting it from ebay.

I got two 1gig sticks from ebay for £24 (although I did get a bit ripped off on postage on top of that by the seller..)

My ram type is quite old now and buying it new was pretty costly because it's getting a bit rare, so was glad to find these.

Legendary_Bibo
June 22nd, 2010, 12:27 AM
This is the "disassembled" Apple monitor. I was careful about it until I broke a part of the cathode ray tube, then I just started smashing everything with the hammer, and cutting all the wires. Also I took a photo of the inside of the screen. I was cool because I kept seeing these blurry black streams as if they were in front of me, but they weren't there. Also I found out that the black ceramic part of a cathode ray tube monitor is toxic. :D
Also there's a photo of my three tools.