PDA

View Full Version : A decent birthday gift?

neoaddict
June 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
My gf's 18th is coming up, and I am in search of a birthday gift for her. She's a bit of a geek like me, so I was wondering if I should get her a geek t-shirt (ones that say for example "Communists have no class", "There are no limits [calculus]", etc.) as a present. There are few local stores that offer something like that, so I am also in search of a website that offers geek-ish stuff and is payable through Paypal. Any suggestions? :KS

pwnst*r
June 21st, 2010, 04:50 AM
I suggest getting her something a little more than a freaking t-shirt for her birthday. Don't be cheap.

kamaboko
June 21st, 2010, 05:12 AM
Well, being a geek is all good and fine, but she's still a woman. Save the shirt for one of your 'guy' friends. Take her to a nice restaurant for dinner. You know the kind...where you actually get dressed up: collard shirt, tie, slacks, etc. The point being, let her know she's your girl friend and not just "one of the guys".

OtakuWrath
June 21st, 2010, 05:19 AM
lol get her an "I'm with stupid" T-shirt.. :biggrin:

CharlesA
June 21st, 2010, 05:22 AM
Dinner, and something from Thinkgeek should work fine. :D

Timmer1240
June 21st, 2010, 05:29 AM
Buy her a ipad or droid phone or something high tech and take her to dinner!

Kdar
June 21st, 2010, 05:30 AM
i suggest getting her something a little more than a freaking t-shirt for her birthday. Don't be cheap.

+1

neoaddict
June 21st, 2010, 05:34 AM
I suggest getting her something a little more than a freaking t-shirt for her birthday. Don't be cheap.

Most def. I also want to get her something on top of that.

Ioky
June 21st, 2010, 06:06 AM
Yeah, T-shirt seem to be more for guy friend. But if you really going to give her a T shirt, Get the one that say "Root" on it.

you know what I mean right?

Windows Nerd
June 21st, 2010, 06:25 AM
Dinner, and something from Thinkgeek should work fine. :D
+1, the Thinkgeek shirts are hilarious (one of thier t-shirts has a version of the infamous "Make me a sandwitch". "No". "sudo make me a sandwitch". Okay, fine" comic.)

gnomeuser
June 21st, 2010, 06:34 AM
i say be romantic, give some thought to her present. Something she loves but would never buy for herself, something that shows that you love her and that you know her.

I doesn't have to be expensive or traditional but it does have to be personal.

A t-shirt is funny but not really romantic. It is though honoring her geek side.

Perhaps a nice picnic for the two of you or dance classes together.

Legendary_Bibo
June 21st, 2010, 06:49 AM
Get her an oil cooled gaming PC with triple SLI 4gb (whatever highest end card out there) for 12gb's of video memory, 12gb RAM. A Bitmicro 1.6TB SSD, and a triple Oct-Core Processor. Then get some uncooked KFC and deepfry it while you guys kick back with 8 games of Crysis maxed out.

Windows Nerd
June 21st, 2010, 08:03 AM
Get her an oil cooled gaming PC with triple SLI 4gb (whatever highest end card out there) for 12gb's of video memory, 12gb RAM. A Bitmicro 1.6TB SSD, and a triple Oct-Core Processor. Then get some uncooked KFC and deepfry it while you guys kick back with 8 games of Crysis maxed out.
Thats going to cost more than an average car!

Legendary_Bibo
June 21st, 2010, 08:08 AM
Thats going to cost more than an average car!
But it shows he loves her, and I wouldn't mind if you loved me if you were giving me that :D

Paqman
June 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM
No point asking strangers what to get her man, you're the one that knows her.

v1ad
June 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Well, being a geek is all good and fine, but she's still a woman. Save the shirt for one of your 'guy' friends. Take her to a nice restaurant for dinner. You know the kind...where you actually get dressed up: collard shirt, tie, slacks, etc. The point being, let her know she's your girl friend and not just "one of the guys".

yea i agree with this.

julio_cortez
June 21st, 2010, 08:35 AM
What if they split up short after that?
(No offence/bad luck intended of course, but please don't laugh as it happened to me last September: she gave me a present for my birthday then less than 2 weeks later we were already arguing on every single thing)

Legendary_Bibo
June 21st, 2010, 08:44 AM
What if they split up short after that?
(No offence/bad luck intended of course, but please don't laugh as it happened to me last September: she gave me a present for my birthday then less than 2 weeks later we were already arguing on every single thing)
Your minds will melt like in Fahrenheit 451. You guys will never leave each other with this hardware...until the next month, well day, when it becomes obsolete technology.

Windows Nerd
June 22nd, 2010, 03:09 AM
But it shows he loves her, and I wouldn't mind if you loved me if you were giving me that :D
True that...