PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Server, hardware question

GreenDance
June 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Hi, would ubuntu server run happly on a 800mhz cpu?

Bachstelze
June 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM

Yes. On a 100MHz one, too.

The Real Dave
June 20th, 2010, 10:36 PM

That depends. It'll install and boot on it, but what do you want it to do? Different wants have different power requirements.

GreenDance
June 20th, 2010, 10:56 PM
That depends. It'll install and boot on it, but what do you want it to do? Different wants have different power requirements.

would like it to run a lamp + torrent :)

GreenDance
June 20th, 2010, 11:33 PM
would like it to run a lamp + torrent :)

forgot to mention, SSH as well, will that be ok?

Bachstelze
June 20th, 2010, 11:34 PM
forgot to mention, SSH as well, will that be ok?

Probably, as long as your LAMP does not serve one million visitors per day. ;)

zuerston
June 21st, 2010, 12:07 AM
Probably, as long as your LAMP does not serve one million visitors per day. ;)

OK I was wondering about the same thing, Running a hypothetical website at home,assuming no ISP bandwidth problems, How many hits/pages/visitors could said server running say,on a P4 2.8gb HT, 1.5gb, handle daily? CPU maybe at 90% load.
What kind of server load will the above computer take?
:popcorn:
This thread is monitored on my website page
http://www.zuerst1.com/index.php/this-weeks-videos/

Bachstelze
June 21st, 2010, 12:16 AM
OK I was wondering about the same thing, Running a hypothetical website at home,assuming no ISP bandwidth problems, How many hits/pages/visitors could said server running say,on a P4 2.8gb HT, 1.5gb, handle daily? CPU maybe at 90% load.
What kind of server load will the above computer take?
:popcorn:
This thread is monitored on my website page
http://www.zuerst1.com/index.php/this-weeks-videos/

The load is relative to the server power. A good rule of thumb is that if the load always stays below 100%, the server will stay responsive. So assuming n visitors per minute put your server load at 90%, then you should be able to serve n*60*24 visitors per day assuming the visitor flow is roughly constant (with some room for small bursts).

juancarlospaco
June 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM
Ubuntu yes.
The Apps/Services depends.

kevin11951
June 21st, 2010, 01:46 AM
Personally, I would run Debian Stable (Lenny) on that, or maybe Ubuntu 8.04. Ubuntu 10.04 still has a few issues with PHP (depreciated syntax still used in different packages, php5-imap for one.)

lisati
June 21st, 2010, 01:57 AM
The idea might work. I have an older machine with 64Mb RAM, a 3Gb HDD, and which runs at 133MHz. On the rare occasions I've had it running while my main server machine has been down, it has seemed to cope with the modest traffic on my website, if a bit slower than I'd like. Then again, I don't have it configured to cope with incoming email - that's on the "to do list" and what I am thinking of doing there is probably better suited to a thread of its own.

GreenDance
June 21st, 2010, 07:07 AM
this is a little off-topic, sorry, but I was just browsing this website http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=38 and it says that 800mhz would video capture at mpeg2 fine, I'm supprised on a 800mhz cpu.

ukripper
June 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM
I am running Ubuntu server 9.10 - Apache + zoneminder(connected 2 cameras at 5 FPS stream with motion capture) + Dropbox daemon( to upload capture images to dropbox service so that i can download on my Android phone) + Samba file server + ssh + FTP server all on Asus Eeepc netbook underclocked to 575 Mhz, 512 RAM, running without any problem. So IMHO your server is more than enough for LAMP. You got to worry more about limitation of your bandwidth provided by your internet connection.

wojox
June 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
The link in my signature is an old Dell Optiplex EX. You should be able to get away with those specs.

GreenDance
June 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM
I am running Ubuntu server 9.10 - Apache + zoneminder(connected 2 cameras at 5 FPS stream with motion capture) + Dropbox daemon( to upload capture images to dropbox service so that i can download on my Android phone) + Samba file server + ssh + FTP server all on Asus Eeepc netbook underclocked to 575 Mhz, 512 RAM, running without any problem. So IMHO your server is more than enough for LAMP. You got to worry more about limitation of your bandwidth provided by your internet connection.

:D Fantastic!, Thanks for that info. No problems from my ISP, unlimited upload cap :D.

Johnsie
June 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Just a little slow to install but once it's all up and running it should be ok. Delivering webpages actually takes very little processing power unless you're using very complex php scripts or have a very, very popular site. The best way to find out is to actually do it :-)

GreenDance
June 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
I Love Ubuntu! :D.

It's a privilage to be a member on this forum! :D.

Thanks to all who replied.

GreenDance
June 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
I inserted the Ubuntu Server 9.10 CD into my "Server", the CD loads up to the first menu on screen, but when pressing Enter to Install, a few seconds later the screen is scrambled, I see the colors blue and red, text isn't readable, so I tried the Ubuntu Alternative 9.10 CD and Debian 504 CD, it's the same, can anyone help please.

Thank You So Much! :)

kevin11951
June 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I inserted the Ubuntu Server 9.10 CD into my "Server", the CD loads up to the first menu on screen, but when pressing Enter to Install, a few seconds later the screen is scrambled, I see the colors blue and red, text isn't readable, so I tried the Ubuntu Alternative 9.10 CD and Debian 504 CD, it's the same, can anyone help please.

Thank You So Much! :)

Would you mind taking a picture?

also, if you know how, add "vga=normal" at the boot screen on the debian cd.

CharlesA
June 22nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Sounds like it doesn't like the video card. I had that happen when I tried to boot off a regular desktop livecd on an ancient IBM server, couldn't read anything, since it was all jacked up.

samalex
June 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM

Yeppers, and quiet well too. I haven't read all the replies, but I assume others are saying the same thing. My home server is 600Mhz IIRC and it works great for web sites, SSH, IRC, the works. It's running Ubuntu Server 8.10, but I just downloaded 10.04 Server and will install it whenever Time Warner gets my Internet going again (it went out last night).

Just get as much ram as possible, and if you run Ubuntu Server with no GUI it'll take about anything you can throw at it. Just don't let a site hosted on it get on Digg or /. :)

Sam

GreenDance
June 23rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Hi, I tried vga=normal and the same thing happened :( (Debian), I tried WXP (sorry!) and that installed fine, but I want linux not windows.

GreenDance
June 23rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hi, I tried vga=normal and the same thing happened :( (Debian), I tried WXP (sorry!) and that installed fine, but I want linux not windows.

I've just noticed I've started a second topic inside this one, sorry.

GreenDance
June 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM

Bump, Thank You!