PDA

View Full Version : Forecd to use Darwin for work...what to expect

wannabegeek
June 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
hey folks...

I have to use Darwin at my new job. I have little experience with Macs and
will be doing system admin stuff for the first time. We use macs to analysis
CODAR data.

I'm having trouble parititoning the HD in my box and have gotten pretty frustrated...
no pgrep wtf ?

the bash seems limited compared to Karmic's...
What do you all think about Darwin and so you have any suggestions ?

tia
wbg

jrusso2
June 20th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Darwin? Do you mean OS X?

cariboo
June 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
If you are installing OSX on non apple branded hardware, don't expect any help here, as the forum doesn't support illegal activities. Thread closed.

cariboo
June 21st, 2010, 12:42 AM
Due to my own confusion and not using my google fu, this thread is reopened.

Bachstelze
June 21st, 2010, 12:53 AM
Thank you. :)

So I was going to say:

Darwin provides the basic UNIX tools like fdisk and mkfs for disk partitioning, that should be all you need. Your distribution might or might not provide a graphical tool.

pgrep is part of the procps package, which is not ditributed in any Darwin disribution I know of. You might or might not be able to compile it, I haven't tried. Either way, you should be able to do the same thing with ps and grep.

Bash should be the same in every OS, so any difference you find should only be a matter of configuration, and fixable by doing some bashrc magic.

Darwin? Do you mean OS X?

Not necessarily. That's like saying "Linux? Do you mean Ubuntu?"

DeadSuperHero
June 21st, 2010, 12:57 AM
I would like to recommend looking into trying out DarwinPorts, (http://darwinports.com/) or PureDarwin (http://www.puredarwin.org/) if you want to try a Darwin distribution. It would at least give a bit more insight into how the system is laid out.

DarwinPorts might work on non-MacOSX systems. Haven't tried it though.

witeshark17
June 21st, 2010, 04:33 AM
Please keep us posted on your progress... :guitar:

wannabegeek
June 21st, 2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the replies..Monday is a few hours away, will check out the Darwin Ports..
I saw something about Darwin-GNU as well...

I will read about bashrc and hopefully do some magic...I am hoping to get access to the command line programs I am familiar with on my Karmic machine., sed, curl, awk....I haven't been able to resize my partitions yet, just getting the Quad Core to boot into the CD ROM is a hassle...

thanks again,
wbg