PDA

View Full Version : POLL: what music do you listen to most?

fela
June 20th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Just wondering what kind of music you guys/girls listen to on the whole...

I like all kinds of music; Dub reggae, hip hop, electronica, dubstep, some rock, punk/garage, all float my boat (oh yeah AS LONG AS THEY'RE GOOD!).

PS. please don't say Justin Bieber or I might just cry.

venator260
June 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Usually Heavy Metal with some hard rock thrown in.

This is what I hear by choice of course. I'm not including what my girlfriend plays in her car, lest I be considered a Lady Gaga fan.

Also, punk and metal should not be in the same poll option (punk/headbanging/screaming). If people are headbanging to punk music, they're doing it wrong. It's the same with moshing. I could also make a whole other post about using The Horns (http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Dio_EvilEye.jpg) improperly.

fela
June 20th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Also, punk and metal should not be in the same poll option (punk/headbanging/screaming)

Right you are 8) too bad I was limited to 10 options

venator260
June 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Right you are 8) too bad I was limited to 10 options

Good. Good.

I'm picky about a few things, my chosen genres of music being one of them 8)

fela
June 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Good. Good.

I'm picky about a few things, my chosen genres of music being one of them 8)

Hmm, I'm not really picky about genre but I do only listen to music if it's good (ie not commercialized).

PS. now realized I forgot the folk and classical options *facepalm*

lisati
June 20th, 2010, 07:38 PM
"Easy Listening"

Perhaps it's a sign of getting older, but I can't stomach some of the offerings available on the charts these days.

fela
June 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
"Easy Listening"

Perhaps it's a sign of getting older, but I can't stomach some of the offerings available on the charts these days.

Awwwwwww.

I can't stand the charts either but easy listening?! :mad:

V for Vincent
June 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
my "main" genre would be blues rock. grand funk railroad, the who, zeppelin, hendrix, etc. I also listen to fusion jazz and classic heavy metal like black sabbath quite often.

lisati
June 20th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Awwwwwww.

I can't stand the charts either but easy listening?! :mad:

Just a personal preference, less distracting while I'm on the forums.

We have a range of genres in our music collection here in the "Lisati" household, including classical. That doesn't get played much, due to protests from Mrs Lisati when we were first together.

cariboo
June 20th, 2010, 08:20 PM
You forgot Country too. :)

Frogs Hair
June 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Guitar players , like , Steve Vai , Vinnie Moore , and shredders new and old.

gnomeuser
June 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM
You forgot Country too. :)

Nah country isn't music.

I listen to most styles of music except rap/hip-hop and commercial pop. Right now I am going through a phase of listening to a lot of World Music but I have a wide spanning collection, one never knows what mood one is in.

murderslastcrow
June 20th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I just realized how obscure my taste in music is, as I couldn't really check any of those boxes. O_O

Rubi1200
June 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Where can I vote for jazz or Afrobeat?

My two all-time favorite artists:

Jazz (hard bop): Horace Silver

Afrobeat: Fela Kuti (of course!)

:p

XubuRoxMySox
June 20th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Jazz (except Dixieland - too chaotic, you can't dance to it), country western, bluegrass, classical, techno.

Always dancing,
Robin

nubimax
June 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Mostly country blues from the 20's & 30's, Jazz from the 40's & 50's, Rock and Roll only from the 50's Any clasical.
M.

Timmer1240
June 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Blues rock country rockabilly classical depends on the mood Im in!P.S. I sometimes hear music in my dreams full stereo too I luv all kinds of music its art to me!check out Airbourne on you tube awesome!was jammin to that earlyer Im 46 years old so your never too old for hard rock!

oldsoundguy
June 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM
As a retired professional .. your poll is sorely lacking! There are lots more genres of music than you listed. (and some of that stuff is not MUSIC .. it is performance "art" and has little or no music involved.)

VastOne
June 20th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Zero beat Ambient Drone/Zen

NMFTM
June 20th, 2010, 10:58 PM
edit: double post

NMFTM
June 20th, 2010, 10:59 PM
KMFDM: winning combination of metal, industrial/electronic/dance, and pop.

NCLI
June 20th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Where's classical!?

Anyway, I mostly listen to classical music, some game and anime soundtracks, good rock, some country, and a bit of pop.

Bachstelze
June 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Justin Bieber.

fela
June 20th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Where can I vote for jazz or Afrobeat?

My two all-time favorite artists:

Afrobeat: Fela Kuti (of course!)

:p

As a retired professional .. your poll is sorely lacking! There are lots more genres of music than you listed. (and some of that stuff is not MUSIC .. it is performance "art" and has little or no music involved.)

I know I know, with the first part you're absolutely right but I wrote it quickly and didn't really think hard of all the different main genres (sorry). But about the second part yeah I agree some of it (eg lil wayne, kanye west, anything in the charts) isn't real music, but alot of people count that as music (and sadly don't know better) so I thought I'd include it anyway.

I see alot of ubuntu users like rock :guitar:

fela
June 20th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Justin Bieber.

:mad:

RiceMonster
June 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Mostly rock and metal, but a little bit of electronic and pop music here and there. By pop I don't mean what's in the charts, I just can't think of a better word.

http://www.last.fm/user/RiceMonster

Justin Bieber.

lol

neoaddict
June 21st, 2010, 04:33 AM
Acoustic rock, television soundtracks (BSG!), alternative rock, and some new-fangled pop punk

malspa
June 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
Jazz and R&B/Soul.

malspa
June 21st, 2010, 04:54 AM

Nice!

Coltrane, Miles, Art Blakey, Cannonball, McCoy Tyner, Pat Metheny, etc. etc.

mamamia88
June 21st, 2010, 05:01 AM
i'm weird I listen to about 45% metal and rock 45% hip hop, and about 10% country music.

wojox
June 21st, 2010, 05:11 AM
I enjoy classic rock. Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, The Who ...

phantom-overide
June 21st, 2010, 07:49 AM
I realy like ska but i tend to stick to acdc,seether and red

samalex
June 21st, 2010, 02:47 PM
I marked Electronic/Dance since I really like techno and electronic music (SomaFM has some great stuff!), but you left off Classical, Jazz, etc. When I'm coding I can't listen to music with many vocals or it throws me off, so being a huge fan of classical music my days are filled with Haydn, Copland, Bernstein, Gershwin, George Winston, Mannheim Steamroller, etc. Plus I love old-school Jazz and Big Band.

Also I spend probably half the day or more listening to podcasts, though by the end of the week I've listened to most of the ones I try to catch (TWiT, Off the Wall/Hook, Retrobits, and a few others).

Sam

Breambutt
June 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
All kinds of jazz and classical, blues, afrobeat, funk, latin, rumba, flamenco, celtic. Pretty much everything (that sounds good) that wasn't an option.

Somehow you've managed to list all the "genres" I don't even consider music.

donkyhotay
June 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Where is "other" or "none of the above"?

fela
June 21st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Where is "other" or "none of the above"?

Just don't vote in that case.

To everyone: the poll was more of just a last minute thingy-ma-jig/guide, of course it's much better to post - not least because I seemed to forget most genres :lolflag:

sydbat
June 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
I just listen to the music I like, which can be anything on any particular day.

alphaniner
June 21st, 2010, 06:50 PM
Sympohnic Metal, Jazz, Folk/World, Bluegrass.

And APOCALYPTICA!

Somehow you've managed to list all the "genres" I don't even consider music.

lol

Simian Man
June 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
I mostly listen to rock and metal, but like most genres that use actual instruments. I don't much care for rap, electronica or stuff like that.

And APOCALYPTICA!

Definitely my favorite band lately! I started listening to them mostly for the novelty of hearing Metallica songs played on the cello, but their later, original songs are far superior.

BrokenKingpin
June 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM
Metal!

dapperdanny77
June 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM
well - I'm the KING !

sstusick
June 21st, 2010, 10:52 PM
The poll is very limiting. Nobody listens to jazz, big band or country? I settled for anything with a good beat. I guess that's all it comes down to, right?

powerpleb
June 22nd, 2010, 06:31 AM
I just pretend to like whatever music is obscure or avant-garde enough to make me look more sophisticated and cultured than everyone else.

Spr0k3t
June 22nd, 2010, 08:18 AM
I like to settle down and listen to a lot of not country. I mean seriously, I can listen to and tolerate some of the super obscure cultish following of out-of-tune half wits recreating the sound of a train-wreck, but I can't stand listening to country music. I really don't know what it is about country music... it just doesn't fit me.

Quid pro quo une pour moi... Charlie Daniels is a freakin master of the makers. Just rip the words from all of his music and I can listen to it.

wilee-nilee
June 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
For all you anti-country folk.
Chester and Lester (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfjD680wQJI)

bigsmitty64
June 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
I'll just list a few of my favs: A top ten if you will, in no special order.

1.Ozzy Osbourne
2.George Jones
3.Avenged Sevenfold
4.Shawn Mullins
5.Dropkick Murphys
6.Stevie Ray Vaughan
7.Sister Hazel
8.Johnny Cash
9.ACDC (Bon Scott years)
10.Chickenfoot

powerpleb
June 22nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
For all you anti-country folk.
Chester and Lester (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfjD680wQJI)
That was friggin' awesome.

I defy anyone to not like this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZ95a249p0

wilee-nilee
June 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
That was friggin' awesome.

I defy anyone to not like this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZ95a249p0

Thats a good link as well. I could easily judge a genre but it's a waste of time there are great players in all of them and it is all art in some form.

fela
June 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
The poll is very limiting. Nobody listens to jazz, big band or country? I settled for anything with a good beat. I guess that's all it comes down to, right?

I know has been mentioned before. can't apologize enough. BUT: poll is guide only, opinions wanted and thankfully that's what we're getting :)

Who here agrees that Aphex Twin is a musical genius? =D>