PDA

View Full Version : Fully switch to Linux

Reggaeton King
March 28th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Has anyone fully switch to Linux completely? I am thinking about doing too. But I am a web developer and I use DW 8. That has nothing to do with it but my point is, it's not Windows but the software I can not let go.

NeghVar
March 28th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Ive been fully switched for a while. you can check out crossover office for certain software, I'm not sure if it supports the latest dw but im pretty sure it does support other dw and they are probly workin on the newest 1, same with ps all the way up to the cs versions i believe.

http://www.codeweavers.com/

thats the website, ive heard a fair bit of good stuff about them.

Cyril
March 28th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Have you tried running DW 8 with wine?

mrgnash
March 28th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I would, since I don't need any Windows software but I don't know how to get rid of my XP partition so that Linux will be able to use the space :( Otherwise, it would be gone just like that *clicks fingers*

Oh and I wouldn't bother with Crossover Office... I tried to get Quicktime/iTunes (thanks for the DRM nightmare Apple!) running under that thing and it was a horrible, buggy, frustrating experience.

Commercial software: it's a pox.

NeghVar
March 28th, 2006, 03:22 AM
If you already have an install up and running and assuming your using Grub as your boot manager. Just get Gparted from synaptic then have it delete yr xp partition and then set it up as ext3 or which ever file system you prefer.

If you want to do a fresh install then just delete all the offending partitions when you install.

endersshadow
March 28th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Has anyone fully switch to Linux completely? I am thinking about doing too. But I am a web developer and I use DW 8. That has nothing to do with it but my point is, it's not Windows but the software I can not let go.

Have you tried Nvu (http://www.nvu.com/)? I must admit, I'm a huge fan of Vim (http://www.vim.org/) for all my web editting...but I've always shied away from WYSIWYG editors...

aysiu
March 28th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Have you tried Quanta?

mrgnash
March 28th, 2006, 03:44 AM
If you already have an install up and running and assuming your using Grub as your boot manager. Just get Gparted from synaptic then have it delete yr xp partition and then set it up as ext3 or which ever file system you prefer.

If you want to do a fresh install then just delete all the offending partitions when you install.

The partition that XP is on - /dev/hda2/ - is flagged as 'boot, lba' so won't that cause problems if I just up and delete it?

NeghVar
March 28th, 2006, 03:47 AM
to my knowledge it shouldnt cause a problem, but i offer no guarantees or warranties on this advice. also note that doing that will erase all data and is unrecoverable to my knowledge.

Reggaeton King
March 28th, 2006, 03:56 AM
I haven't tried any application on trying to use DW but I do have CrossOver Office, and I have Photoshop 7 installed so far. Even tho it runs really slow. I just need a HTML editor with FTP Managment. I hate WYSIWYG editor. I am strictly a coder/programmer. *cough Java!*. I am looking into Quanta and Nvu now. I heard Nvu has a built-in FTP manager. Courtesy of endersshadow, thx! And to answer Cyril question, No I haven't (yet).

Anyone think Linux will be as popular as Windows one day? Or people have to opinion of choosing either Linux or Windows as the OS on their PC when they first purchase it. And people will know what Linux is?

NeghVar
March 28th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Anyone think Linux will be as popular as Windows one day? Or people have to opinion of choosing either Linux or Windows as the OS on their PC when they first purchase it. And people will know what Linux is?

Of course it will eventually. The way I see things happening is this.

Companies begin to switch some of their computers to linux since well lets face it the vast majority of people don't NEED windows in the office. Those people that get switched will start to get used to it and consider it a viable option when they have their next computer built.

That will slowly start to spread to friends and family members and eventually go back to the companies who will by this point probably have even more options for linux and they will use even more linux, its a never ending circle.

I don't think we will ever tople MS but I do think that a viable computer company will sell equal Linux desktops. You can already get linux preinstalled from several companies but for every linux type they offer they offer a good 10 windows types.

deathbyswiftwind
March 31st, 2006, 04:12 PM
I have been fully switched to linux. I love it but I have 1 regret! The only thing I miss about windows is paint shop pro. I know gimp is good and my hats off to its developers but it just cant do the things I need it to do.

Master Shake
March 31st, 2006, 04:25 PM
I have been fully switched to linux. I love it but I have 1 regret! The only thing I miss about windows is paint shop pro. I know gimp is good and my hats off to its developers but it just cant do the things I need it to do.

Hear hear!

Paint Shop Pro is the best painting program I've ever used, and it would be great if it was in Linux. Cinepaint is closer, but not quite there.

Pixel is an excellent solution, but its not "free" as in beer. They do have a free demo, but it watermarks your images with the pixel logo.

Still, in the big scheme of things, its worth a try (And I note that the cost for it is still $32, despite the site saying it was supposed to go up to $70 or $100 at the end of last year.)

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12

opus
March 31st, 2006, 04:28 PM
I do some web development for work and I use Dreamweaver under windows. I am determined to use Linux for everything at home, and not use Windows at all. This means that for my personal web development I have had to find replacements.

I currently use Bluefish under Gnome. I have also tried Nvu but I'm a coder and don't really like WYSIWIG. Under KDE I love Quanta+. I may still install that under Gnome.

For PHP programming, I use Eclipse with the PHPEclipse plugin. There is also a javascript plugin. Both work exceptionally well, and I can use it under Windows at work and Linux at home.

Also, GEdit does source code highlighting for pretty much any language, so I find I use that quite often as well. No bells and whistles there though. :)

Aaron

Mustard
March 31st, 2006, 04:48 PM

I run Paintshop pro in wine, but saving files is a not always an easy thing to do. :)

-edit-
Just fiddling around now I have worked it out. :D

endersshadow
March 31st, 2006, 05:03 PM
So nobody's trying Xara Xtreme (http://www.xaraxtreme.org), eh?

Why not?

Master Shake
March 31st, 2006, 05:08 PM
I run Paintshop pro in wine, but saving files is a not always an easy thing to do. :)

-edit-
Just fiddling around now I have worked it out. :D

HOw's about a How-To then? :) PSP is my favorite image editor!

Virogenesis
March 31st, 2006, 05:17 PM
dreamweaver 8 will not work with crosssover due tho the registatration details
as it loops and doesn't run.
Dreamweaver won't work out out of the box but it can run nor will i will you anymore tell what you have to do to get it to work. as it is against forum rules

Absolute
March 31st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Ive been fully switched for a while. you can check out crossover office for certain software, I'm not sure if it supports the latest dw but im pretty sure it does support other dw and they are probly workin on the newest 1, same with ps all the way up to the cs versions i believe.

http://www.codeweavers.com/

It's not quite there yet, although I use DW8 with CrossOver every day.

You can get DW8 to work, but not with a valid installation. Due to Macromedia's copy-right production you'll need to run a crack on it to get it to run properly, even if you have a valid serial.

The installer also doesn't work, but you can copy your "Program Files/Macromedia" directory into your CrossOver bottle, run the crack, and than DW8 runs.

The tough part is the installation - after that DW8 functions normally, except when you try to do things such as insert Flash through their menu. It also has timeout issues when interacting through FTP, but with some patience and clicking the 'retry' button alot, it does work.

I'm still working on updating the information for it (I'm a CodeWeaver advocate for DW8), so most of this information isn't in there yet.

For reference: http://www.codeweavers.com/site/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=1554

Al3xanR0
March 31st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Yes, and ironically shortly after acquiring my now useless and inornate MSCE certification. Oh the humanity...

Mustard
March 31st, 2006, 05:39 PM
HOw's about a How-To then? :) PSP is my favorite image editor!

Heh..My wine how to...

When using wine you should always have your coffee cup handle pointing east. Try smoking your cigarette from the left side of your mouth and blow the smoke upwards at all times. When the planet Venus crosses the sign of Capricorn, avoid using wine if at all possible. When apps start running, step carefully out of the room and look on from a distance at the miracle that is a working application in wine. Try not to breathe too heavily or you may disturb the delicate balance.