PDA

View Full Version : Vp8 vs x264 (quick comparison)

Emanuele_Z
June 20th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Hi guys,

I've just made a quick'n'dirty comparison between VP8 and x264 here:
http://qpsnr.youlink.org/vp8_x264/VP8_vs_x264.html

have a look and tell me what you think!

Cheers,

Legendary_Bibo
June 20th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I watch blu-ray

I don't know what this adds to the discussion, but I'm just used to having completely uncompressed video and audio.

blu-ray is sexy Mmmmm....

Emanuele_Z
June 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I watch blu-ray

I don't know what this adds to the discussion, but I'm just used to having completely uncompressed video and audio.

blu-ray is sexy Mmmmm....

Man, Blu Ray video disc (which I quite watch as well) are, surprise, compressed video!
Is just that the bitrate is huge (even 30+ MBps) and you can't see any compression (artifacts)...

Cheers,

Legendary_Bibo
June 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Man, Blu Ray video disc (which I quite watch as well) are, surprise, compressed video!
Is just that the bitrate is huge (even 30+ MBps) and you can't see any compression...

Cheers,
Oh the first Avatar blu-ray that doesn't have any special features, but just the movie (and copy of it on DVD which is nice) is supposedly completely uncompressed. The other versions will apparently be compressed. Don't quote me on that though, I just got that info from media/audio buffs.

Have you noticed that on some blu-rays there's that grainy effect if you look really close at you TV? Avatar didn't have that though. I would understand it on the blu-ray versions of old movies, but I've seen it on some of the newer movies as well.

Emanuele_Z
June 20th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Oh the first Avatar blu-ray that doesn't have any special features, but just the movie (and copy of it on DVD which is nice) is supposedly completely uncompressed. The other versions will apparently be compressed. Don't quote me on that though, I just got that info from media/audio buffs.
Well let's do simple math to compute the uncompressed movie size:
(2 hrs 25 FPS) 2*60*60*25
(full HD) 1920*1080
(YCbCr 4:2:2) 2 (bytes per pixel)
= 746496000000 bytes
Let's say we achieve a lossless compression of 75% the total becomes
173.80 GB
Is a BD able to hold such amount of data?

Have you noticed that on some blu-rays there's that grainy effect if you look really close at you TV? Avatar didn't have that though. I would understand it on the blu-ray versions of old movies, but I've seen it on some of the newer movies as well.

Yes indeed, I think this happens when they don't film in digital.

Cheers,

gnomeuser
June 20th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Quite impressive, I wish the images were a bit bigger so it would be easier to show case the visual quality as well as perhaps a torrent of the files produced. After all pictures is one thing, motion another and often one prone to cause nasty visuals.

Emanuele_Z
June 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Quite impressive, I wish the images were a bit bigger so it would be easier to show case the visual quality as well as perhaps a torrent of the files produced. After all pictures is one thing, motion another and often one prone to cause nasty visuals.

Thanks mate.
Btw I've updated results with another short scene compressed with ivfenc and --best option.
Actually VP8 is slightly better than normal x264!

Cheers,