PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] why do i have 2 ubuntu boot up options?

izangeek
June 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM
my primary os is windows 7 (can't change due to my course of study) and had recently turned to ubuntu 10.04 lts as a secondary os and find it though confusing, rather enjoyable... however i realised that when i boot up, i have 2 ubuntu options... 1. ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-22 generic and 2. ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-21... i wonder if it is a mistake i made during installation or is is normal... though i doubt it's the latter.

i wonder if i could remove the latter since i've been using the 2.6.32-22. thanks in advance... if a reinstall would fix it, i wouldn't mind doing it again since i find my ubuntu bloated with things i don't need.

Hman242
June 20th, 2010, 08:31 AM
You can remove that entry by going into Synaptic and searching for "2.6.32-21". Find the first search result that is installed, right-click and choose Complete Removal.

wilee-nilee
June 20th, 2010, 09:02 AM
my primary os is windows 7 (can't change due to my course of study) and had recently turned to ubuntu 10.04 lts as a secondary os and find it though confusing, rather enjoyable... however i realised that when i boot up, i have 2 ubuntu options... 1. ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-22 generic and 2. ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-21... i wonder if it is a mistake i made during installation or is is normal... though i doubt it's the latter.

i wonder if i could remove the latter since i've been using the 2.6.32-22. thanks in advance... if a reinstall would fix it, i wouldn't mind doing it again since i find my ubuntu bloated with things i don't need.

You can remove it but shouldn't the 2.6.32-21 kernel is the install one the other is a upgraded one. If for some reason the upgraded one caused problems you would just boot the install one. Being that your new to Ubuntu I would leave it, it really is what most people do even experienced users, cheap insurance really.

izangeek
June 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
i tried opening my Synaptics but after it asks for authorisation, the window didn't open. how do i resolve this?

regarding the two ubuntu boot up option, if it doesn't affect my hard drive than i guess its better to leave it alone... just have to live with the mess.. sigh..

thanks for the replies...

wilee-nilee
June 20th, 2010, 09:31 AM
i tried opening my Synaptics but after it asks for authorisation, the window didn't open. how do i resolve this?

regarding the two ubuntu boot up option, if it doesn't affect my hard drive than i guess its better to leave it alone... just have to live with the mess.. sigh..

thanks for the replies...

It seems like a mess probably because it looks different but it will save your booty if you have problems with Ubuntu.