PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cairo-Dock and black square arroud it

Plexis
June 20th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Hi m8,

I am running for some time Ubuntu 10.04, and I decied to install Cairo-Dock to make my notebook more look like Mac OS ....

But I have strange if I can call it problem. It is black squate surrounding Cairo-Dock. I tryed to change backgroud to black but still when i am on some application and Cairo-Dock appear i see it.

I also uploaded screenshoot of my desktop so If somebody had before same "problem" , maybe he can help me to solve it.

I am running no OpenGL Cairo-Dock.

Thanks to all of You for help.

Brandel Valico
June 20th, 2010, 01:34 AM
You need to install a compisitor. The default Gnome doesn't do so. Try installing Compiz it has a built in one and will get rid of that black square.

Plexis
June 20th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I am so sorry, i found out how to do it :

I have a black background around my dock.
Tip: If you have an ATI or an Intel card, you should try without OpenGL first, because their drivers are not yet perfect.
You need to turn on compositing. For instance, you can run Compiz or xcompmgr.
If you're using XFCE or KDE, you can just enable compositing in the window manager options.
If you're using Gnome, you can enable it in Metacity in this way :
Open gconf-editor, edit the key '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' and set it to 'true'.

My notebook is Toshoba Satellite Pro U500 with nVidia Geforce 210 CUDA , and already running nVidia driver which ubuntu sugested to me, but somehow i needed to do this to get it working.

Thanks to all.

Brandel Valico
June 20th, 2010, 01:43 AM
No worries nice to see you got it working. Also nice to see I was wrong and there is a way to get it going in Meticity.

I enjoy any day I learn something new.

Be sure to mark the thread "Solved" when you get a chance.

pechan98
June 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Great Work :D Thanks for your help :D

sleepee
August 22nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for this thread.
I was having the same issue and changing the gconf-editor option worked for me.

dvessels
February 6th, 2011, 03:38 AM
:guitar:):PI too am having the problem of the black background around my cairo-dock. I also tried opening the gconf-editor, but I'm afraid my results were not quite the same. As a matter of fact, there was no change at all. Very disappointing. Does anyone else have any ideas? BTW, when I went to try the Compiz manager, it did not look like the one in the example.

Confused (as usual)

Copper Bezel
February 6th, 2011, 04:02 AM
If the Metacity compositing didn't work and you want to switch to Compiz, you don't actually have to install ccsm, although you'll most likely want it. What example did it not look like?

For now, just go to Appearance Preferences and select the Visual Effects tab, then select "normal." You'll switch to Compiz's composited window manager. Alternately, run compiz --replace from the Alt+F2 Run Dialog.

Cathhsmom
February 6th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I have had this happen to me. I fixed mine by changing my visual effects to Extra. Somehow, my visual effects got set to none, and behold, I get a black box around my Cairo Dock. But changing the visual effects to Extra, the black box disappeared.

Cavsfan
March 15th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I am so sorry, i found out how to do it :

I have a black background around my dock.
Tip: If you have an ATI or an Intel card, you should try without OpenGL first, because their drivers are not yet perfect.
You need to turn on compositing. For instance, you can run Compiz or xcompmgr.
If you're using XFCE or KDE, you can just enable compositing in the window manager options.
If you're using Gnome, you can enable it in Metacity in this way :
Open gconf-editor, edit the key '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' and set it to 'true'. My notebook is Toshoba Satellite Pro U500 with nVidia Geforce 210 CUDA , and already running nVidia driver which ubuntu sugested to me, but somehow i needed to do this to get it working.

Thanks to all.

After today's update for Lucid, I rebooted and only had a black screen with no cairo dock.
I did as mentioned above and it allows cairo dock to run without open gl. But, open gl mode
still won't do anything except display a weird rectangular box at the bottom left - no icons.