PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to build an MMO with blender?

Dustin2128
June 20th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I'm working on an open source mmo for linux users, and before I can start any of the actual computer design phase (I've got back-stories for everything and a nice plot) I need to make a choice. I'd like nice, 3D graphics and I know blender is an excellent 3D modeling program, and better, it has a game engine. My question is, obviously, would it be possible to build an MMO with it? And if so, is a converted intel core 2 duo desktop with 100 Mb/s ethernet and 1GB of ram sufficient for a 25-50 player server?

MarcusW
June 20th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Sorry for making this post while not at all answering your question, but for a 3D engine I recommend ogre3d. Not at all hard to make the models in blender and exporting them to ogre either. :)

Dustin2128
June 20th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Sorry for making this post while not at all answering your question, but for a 3D engine I recommend ogre3d. Not at all hard to make the models in blender and exporting them to ogre either. :)
tell me more; how good a game engine is it? I want something with quality bordering warcraft or regnum.
EDIT: I looked at the website and I like it; but how customizable is the interface?

juancarlospaco
June 20th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Blender, good, that can be the most beutifull 2-20F.P.S. MMO.

Also see Panda3D, python+psyco, fast coding, extremmely fast coding, easy migration to C++, should be faster than Blender

Dustin2128
June 20th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Blender, good, that can be the most beutifull 2-20F.P.S. MMO.

Also see Panda3D, python+psyco, fast coding, extremmely fast coding, easy migration to C++, should be faster than Blender
thanks for the recommendations. But why would blender produce a low framerate game?

juancarlospaco
June 20th, 2010, 05:40 AM
See YoFankie!
I Dunno, but if these game, made by Blender Expert seems slow,
i think its something with F.P.S.,
anyways is not designed for high performance games, is like an Engine,
there are projects to build an AutoCAD-Like app from Blender too.

Hman242
June 20th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I've heard Crystal Space(the engine) is really good.

MarcusW
June 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM
tell me more; how good a game engine is it? I want something with quality bordering warcraft or regnum.
EDIT: I looked at the website and I like it; but how customizable is the interface?

It's not a game engine, it's a graphics engine (although I guesss it's really mostly used for games). It's really flexible, I think you can customize it basically however you want. I think the website is a better source of information than me, I can just say I really liked using it. :)

http://www.ogre3d.org/about

del_diablo
June 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM
thanks for the recommendations. But why would blender produce a low framerate game?

Because its not a game engine.
Its more of a render engine, for testing.
I don't recommend OGRE, because setting up the export from blender is a pain.

mickie.kext
June 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I guess you are talking about MMO RPG?

Than it is best to look at Ryzom:

http://www.ryzom.com/en/mmorpg-rpg-mmo-index.html
http://dev.ryzom.com/news/13
http://dev.ryzom.com/

It have been opensourced under AGPLv3, but maps and data files are still proprietary. They could use help making new maps and story, so you could use Ryzom engine as a base. You didn't really mean to make everything from scratch, did you? It is a lot of work.

As for Blender, sure. It can be used. It is one of the best 3D programs out there and only non-standard UI is keeping it from getting more users.

As for server... I think you could put one more 1GB stick of RAM. Otherwise it is ok.

kesten
November 16th, 2011, 04:26 AM
This is a slightly old thread, but I have just started developing an MMORPG called Journey using Blender and Panda3d as the game engine. Although it might be possible to build a blender game, the engine seems a bit weak right now. So Panda3d or Ogre are good choices.
Panda3d uses the Bullet Physics engine, just like blender, so that's nice.
The game was originally developed by Douglas Knapp. I'm now assisting. If anyone is interested in learning MMORPG programming (servers, game engine), join the team.

kesten

BrokenKingpin
November 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I would not recommend the blender game engine, but it would be a good fit for doing the 3d modeling.

What is your programming experience? If it is none, you might want to spend a decade or so learning how to code before moving onto something like an MMO. You will also need a **** ton of cash for the server infrastructure once the game is developed.

Seems like every kid who plays an MMO like WoW thinks they can make their own these days.

DangerOnTheRanger
November 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Seems like every kid who plays an MMO like WoW thinks they can make their own these days.

+1 to this, especially those who haven't programmed before.

JDShu
November 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM
It should also be noted that MMORPG is probably the most difficult genre of game to make. The reason being that it's not just art and code, but requires a running infrastructure for people to use.