PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problems with Crunchbang

TeeRev
June 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I just installed crunchbang on an old laptop last night, and I really like it. Seems to run nice and quick, and I've made a nice minimalistic desktop with adeskbar and conky.

However, overnight I left the computer on, but came down in the morning and it was off. After turning it on, it seems to be pretty messed up.

I can't right click, or even use super+space to get the menu to come up, and every open program has no bar to drag it around with ( can't minimize or exit or even click on background applications that are open) and they are all snapped to the top left of the window when you open them. Alt+tab doesn't work either. None of the super+ combinations are doing anything. I really don't understand what happened, I've tried rebooting a couple times but it comes up the same.

Anyone know what might be up? or what I should check to see if there are any errors?

PS I wasn't sure what prefix to put, as I've read it's based on Ubuntu I posted it here.

TeeRev
June 19th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Oh! I just typed openbox into the console and it's brought it all back.

So maybe that crashed over night and didn't start up when I turned on today? Going to try a few restarts to make sure it's working.

XubuRoxMySox
June 20th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Are you using 9.04 or the new Statler? Just curious because I have used both. Statler is a little harder to install (it's using the still-in-development Debian installer) and has some other big differences now, having switched to a Debian base from its former Ubuntu base, but Statler Alpha is better than most distros release candidates!

I also found that running Sid instead of Testing, my whole computer runs cooler (temperature wise, I mean). Not sure why yet, but it's a welcome change.

And didjya know Crunchbang has it's own forums (http://crunchbanglinux.com/forums/)? Stop on in and say hello. Tell 'em dixiedancer sent you!

Enjoying Crunchbang too,
Robin

TeeRev
June 20th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the reply, and the link to the other forums. Should be handy as a few other little errors are coming up, but I really like the overall quickness of it and just the feel. So once I get these few things sorted I'll be all set.

And I'm running 9.04. I'm not sure what happened but it won't have any of the openbox capabilities after starting up until I start it up manually. I'll have to get it set to do it on it's own, but it really should be doing that naturally, as it was when I first installed it.

Ah well, got a bit of time to tinker with it, should be able to poke around those other forums to find some help.

Thanks!

TeeRev
June 20th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Great resource, found the answer already.

Haha rookie mistake...

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/1155/resolved-openbox-wont-start/