PDA

View Full Version : Clueless.

dragos240
June 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I was looking for extremely cheap computers.......

Intel Pentium 4
2.0 GHz
256 GB Memory
40 gig hard drive
6 USB ports
CD ROM drive
1.44 MB 3.5" floppy drive

WHOA!!!!! 256GB of memory!!!!! WOW!!!!! What a deal!

Anyone else have similar experiences?

WinterRain
June 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM

I see stuff like that all the time.

Too bad you have to buy your computers. I was just given 7 pc's this week (and a 17" lcd) for free. Many of them were 2.6ghz or better that run perfectly. One of them was a dell optiplex gx 270 with dvd-rw and 1gb ram. I sold it for $150.

Check your local electronic recycling center for cheap pc's.

Bachstelze
June 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
What's so surprising? It's called an old computer...

dragos240
June 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
What's so surprising? It's called an old computer...

256GB of ram.

Bachstelze
June 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
256GB of ram.

Oh, I see what you did there.

NightwishFan
June 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Having that much ram would not improve my machines performance at all. Except, well I could install it to use ram instead of a disk, and use the disk for persistence. Also infinite disk caching to the ram. :D

Xianath
June 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Oh the Optiplex GX 270. Countless hours trying to get Ubuntu to run in 1152x864. On the bright side, it was the reason I discovered these forums. On the not so bright side, I never solved my problem (worked around it though by getting a TFT running at 1280x1024 :D ) Such fond memories!

To this day I still shun Dell like the plague when it comes to Linux. Unfortunately every single company I've worked for has been assimilated by the Dell Borg, so my life hasn't exactly been much fun. I had three hard drives fail on my last Dell laptop while it was still under warranty. What is it with top brass and el cheapo hardware anyway?

Sorry. Your thread. Had to vent.

xpod
June 19th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Probably meant to be MB rather than GB although if it is 256GB the motherboard in question must have a helluva lot of memory slots.;)

NightwishFan
June 19th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Or insofar that it has unheard of new technology granted to us by the will of extraterrestrial beings.

Groucho Marxist
June 19th, 2010, 08:53 PM

I was recently perusing my local thrift store and came across a used computer unlike any other. For the low price of $145, you can get an old Dell running Windows XP and featuring Microsoft Works. Now, I realize that everyone here is excited beyond words, but before you rush out to buy it, you must know the following. In order to get the DVD drive to work, you need to do three things. Firstly, you need to have a DVD already in the drive. Secondly, you need something to pry open the drive in order to place said DVD in the drive. Lastly, a paper-clip to make the drive work. How did I know this? They placed a helpful label on the case explaining these procedures.

I will post screen grabs of this as soon as I can.

xpod
June 19th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I was recently perusing my local thrift store and came across a used computer unlike any other. For the low price of $145, you can get an old Dell running Windows XP and featuring Microsoft Works. Now, I realize that everyone here is excited beyond words, but before you rush out to buy it, you must know the following. In order to get the DVD drive to work, you need to do three things. Firstly, you need to have a DVD already in the drive. Secondly, you need something to pry open the drive in order to place said DVD in the drive. Lastly, a paper-clip to make the drive work. How did I know this? They placed a helpful label on the case explaining these procedures.

I will post screen grabs of this as soon as I can.

By time i bought the computer there wouldn`t be enough left for the paper clip so i`m out.

WinterRain
June 19th, 2010, 09:58 PM
For the low price of $145, you can get an old Dell running Windows XP and featuring Microsoft Works.

Wow. I sell dell dimensions with 2.6ghz and 512ram that work perfectly for $90. That includes monitor, mouse and keyboard. Thrift store? I think not.

Rasa1111
June 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Or insofar that it has unheard of new technology granted to us by the will of extraterrestrial beings.

that's classified!:-$

KiwiNZ
June 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM

Ever make a simple typo in an essay?
In a letter ?

Remember to err is human
To mock is ......... :rolleyes:

Rasa1111
June 19th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Wow. I sell dell dimensions with 2.6ghz and 512ram that work perfectly for $90. That includes monitor, mouse and keyboard. Thrift store? I think not.

How do you get them so cheap?
or free?
whereabouts in the northeast? lol :p

WinterRain
June 19th, 2010, 11:34 PM
How do you get them so cheap?
or free?
whereabouts in the northeast? lol :p

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. ;)

Rasa1111
June 20th, 2010, 10:06 AM
If I told you, I'd have to kill you. ;)

I might be ok with that. :) lol

Legendary_Bibo
June 20th, 2010, 10:19 AM
dude, you wouldn't mind mailing some cheapo ram sticks would you? :D
I'm broke and trying to turn this dell dimension 4600 into a usable machine. :(
It just doesn't have enough RAM to be snappy enough...

Khakilang
June 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Too bad you have to buy that old computer. For me I just salvage some old parts and build up a computer and just choose the most lightweight Distro to run on. To me everything is free and the only thing I spend is my time.

dragos240
June 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Ever make a simple typo in an essay?
In a letter ?

Remember to err is human
To mock is ......... :rolleyes:

That's why proofreading exists. ;)

chiliman
June 20th, 2010, 02:56 PM
With a HD that Small it makes me wonder if its a Socket 478 processor and not a 775.