PDA

View Full Version : Thinkpad owners: How long have you been using your laptop?

hellmet
June 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I have a 'new' (I mean Lenovo) Thinkpad R500 that is almost 2 years old. During this time, I had to get an LCD replaced (15+ dead pixels). That aside, I think the Thinkpad is a fantastically built computer with a crisp keyboard, silent fan and almost never gets hot to touch.

But, I have heard many more praises for Thinkpad's and their reliability and quality, etc, especially from during the IBM time. I was wondering how long you have been using your Thinkpad. Also let us know which model and year. It'll be interesting to know.

alexan
June 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I did buy my two T42 two years ago by second-hand.
Lucid mine, and Karmic the one I gave to my sister (bad battery: very low price).

Half GiB of ram and 1.6gz of horse power: IBM made good job in assemble them, Canonical refined it with their OS. It's everything I do need

I wish more people will buy IBM and install Windows on it: lot of gorgeous hardware re-sold as piece of s---t (low price) when people got tired with windows (thinking it's an hardware problem :lolflag: )

jimrz
June 20th, 2010, 12:57 AM
which one? I have 3:

600x - 14 years - PIII 500 Mhz / 384 Mb ram - currently running lubuntu 10.04
T-42 - 8(ish)years - Pentium M 1.8 Ghz 1 Gb ram - lucid
R-61 - 3 years - Core2Duo 2.5 Ghz 3 Gb ram - jaunty

been through some batteries (including twice replacing the CMOS bat on the 600x) , of course, but everything else is all original and working and looking great.

Amazing machines - I love'em

WinterRain
June 20th, 2010, 01:43 AM
8 yr old X31 with 1.2ghz-512ram. Been using it for about a year and run lubuntu on it.

Rick B.
December 6th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I've been using an IBM R51 Thinkpad, 512 MB RAM, 1.5 GHz processor for over 3 years now. Bought it used through IBM used equipment. Very few hardware problems in the past 3+ years. Very well-built machine, as it was originally built for business users. I would buy another one without a second thought. And yes, many laptops built in the past several years ARE cheap junk! Running Ubuntu 8.10 with no issues. A good source of Thinkpads can be found at www.usanotebook.com.

Junosix
December 6th, 2010, 08:42 PM
X31 from about 2005, upgraded to 1GB. Has problems suspending/resuming in Lucid but otherwise it's a little cracker that I'll be sad to replace.

Duncan J Murray
December 6th, 2010, 11:13 PM
7 years old Thinkpad T40 1.3Ghz w/ 1.25Gb. I bought it new for £1500! It currently has Maverick on it, but I'm thinking of going back to Lucid due to some compiz problems...

At the time I could have bought the cheapest £800 (at that time) laptop, which would probably have broken after one year, and would not have provided 7 years of computing satisfaction!

Although I had to endure quite a lot of it with Windows XP installed...

D