PDA

View Full Version : Building a solid budget AMD system

clgy15
June 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Hey everybody,
Im on the hunt for an AMD processor that works great for development and compiling. I do alot of things with linux and ubuntu from building my own distro to destroying and rebuilding the OS the way I want to.

So I need an AMD processor because I love them thats under a $100. I dont know if I should go with a Phenom x2 or an Athlon x4. Its a tug and pull for me.....

Im gonna use this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157195

Right so after that I need just a few things left to finish my system, for one I need a budget powersupply that works and supports whatever processor I get.

Oh and I need a budget graphics card that works well with linux (Because obviously there wont be any windows on this machine =) )
Oh computing is so much fun! If only I had more money to get the Phenom x6 (One day one day)

Xianath
June 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Why the 770 chipset? Grab one with a built-in Radeon. CPU-wise I recommend the Athlon II X4 620, currently at $99 at NewEgg. For compilation it will beat a Phenom II X2 555 BE at stock speeds, and if you get into overclocking then you'll need a more serious budget for mobo, PSU and cooling, possibly also RAM, so no dice. Get the 620, it's the best price/performance deal out there right now.

clgy15
June 19th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Why not get the 635? Its a buck more and bulls .3ghz more!