PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Oh no! Error Loading Operating System :(

uberbuntufan64y
June 19th, 2010, 07:04 PM
*PANIC* I just got through my Ubuntu install and I got an Error Loading Operating System!!!!
:confused:
*/PANIC*

presence1960
June 20th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Let's get a better look at your setup & boot process. Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu without any changes", when the desktop loads come back here and do the following:

1. Download the boot info script. There is a link in my signature.
2. Once downloaded move the boot info script to the desktop.
3. Open a terminal and run the command
sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

This will create a RESULTS.txt file on the desktop. Paste the entire contents of that file back here. Once pasted highlight all text and click the # sign on the toolbar to place code tags around the text.

See here (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) for more info on the boot info script.

uberbuntufan64y
June 21st, 2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply but i r a n00b. its hard for me to understand the complicated instructions. any chance i can have the for dummies version? k thx!

uberbuntufan64y
June 23rd, 2010, 08:38 PM
bump

darkod
June 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM
What's exactly complicated in the instructions in his post?

ronparent
June 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Ok, I'll play the straight man. Highlight the text in the box labeled 'Code:'. Copy and paste it to a terminal you will open for that purpose (in the menu bar Application>Accessories>Terminal). Highlight and copy the output of the command and paste it to your reply - with or without quotes. Then the good people following this thread will then be able to read and interpret the results and hopefully tell you what to do.

uberbuntufan64y
June 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Ok, I'll play the straight man. Highlight the text in the box labeled 'Code:'. Copy and paste it to a terminal you will open for that purpose (in the menu bar Application>Accessories>Terminal). Highlight and copy the output of the command and paste it to your reply - with or without quotes. Then the good people following this thread will then be able to read and interpret the results and hopefully tell you what to do.

this seems like maybe I can figure it out. i will try and see what i get.

uberbuntufan64y
June 25th, 2010, 07:56 PM
i forgot i installed it on vista not using a cd... oh noes #-o

uberbuntufan64y
June 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM
any ideas on what to try now?

Rubi1200
June 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Are you talking about installing using Wubi?

If you want Vista back, take a look at this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

Scroll down to the relevant section.

uberbuntufan64y
July 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Are you talking about installing using Wubi?

If you want Vista back, take a look at this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

Scroll down to the relevant section.

I got busy with things and had to put this project aside for awhile, but I just turned my computer back on and decided to try again but still it was a fail :(

CompEngStudnt
July 26th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Wubi is the version I just had and it crashed a few times and had a few bugs. To really install ubuntu : you need to write it to a disc or usb. From there, you can try ubuntu with less problems. The update messed up by installation through Vista, and that is my solution the the problem you have.

It will only take a few minutes and all of the directions are in drop-downs on the download page.