PDA

View Full Version : Yet another claim the desktop is dieing

MooPi
June 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Here is another article claiming that PC desktops are dieing.http://www.slate.com/id/2257495/pagenum/all
Personally I will not give up my desktop power edge any time soon. I still feel it gives me the personal freedom of choice over a vendors locked in hardware choices. I can mix and match the perfect Linux box from Newegg gear, without fear of incompatibility issues.

aysiu
June 19th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Personally I will not give up my desktop power edge any time soon. I still feel it gives me the personal freedom of choice over a vendors locked in hardware choices. I can mix and match the perfect Linux box from Newegg gear, without fear of incompatibility issues. Only a very small percentage of the general populace cares about freedom of choice or actually wants to build a computer from parts.

When these bloggers and writers say the desktop is dying, they don't mean that it will be completely eradicated. They just mean it'll be a niche market. Hobbyists, hardcore gamers, 3D modelers, etc. will still use desktops. But the average Jane and Joe will not. Already a lot of people are sacrificing desktops for laptops and laptops for netbooks or iPads.

I know very, very few people (I can count them on one hand) who care about privacy issues or vendor lock-in. If it "works" and is part of an ecosystem "everyone" uses, they will use it, whatever the product is.

If we move to 99% of computer users using laptops, netbooks, tablets, and smartphones with 1% still using desktops, then that is the desktop dying. Saying "I personally will always use a desktop doesn't change that fact." I personally may use an abacus, but most people who can afford it would prefer a calculator. I personally may handwrite letters to friends, but most people who can afford it would prefer to write emails.

Ric_NYC
June 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
"And the cloud... blah.. blah..."

pwnst*r
June 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Only a very small percentage of the general populace cares about freedom of choice or actually wants to build a computer from parts.

When these bloggers and writers say the desktop is dying, they don't mean that it will be completely eradicated. They just mean it'll be a niche market. Hobbyists, hardcore gamers, 3D modelers, etc. will still use desktops. But the average Jane and Joe will not. Already a lot of people are sacrificing desktops for laptops and laptops for netbooks or iPads.

I know very, very few people (I can count them on one hand) who care about privacy issues or vendor lock-in. If it "works" and is part of an ecosystem "everyone" uses, they will use it, whatever the product is.

If we move to 99% of computer users using laptops, netbooks, tablets, and smartphones with 1% still using desktops, then that is the desktop dying. Saying "I personally will always use a desktop doesn't change that fact." I personally may use an abacus, but most people who can afford it would prefer a calculator. I personally may handwrite letters to friends, but most people who can afford it would prefer to write emails.

^Absolutely that.

NightwishFan
June 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
The desktop for me is a kiosk or server. I do not want to see them die though, a good solid multipurpose workstation will always trump some netbook or phone for me. I do not want to go smaller than my laptop even if it cannot fit in my pocket. Its is really a desktop that is easy to pack up and move.

Personal Jesus
June 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM
The desktop is only good insofar that it's cheaper to buy tons of RAM with it. You will not find a consumer laptop in stores such as Walmart, Kmart, Big Lots, etc. that focuses on giving a laptop, generally, more than 4 GBs of RAM. This seems to be the standard for most laptops.

However, there are laptops that could kill desktops. The Alienware series of laptops are the ones I am specifically speaking of. They're built for (extreme) gaming on a laptop, which I thought was practically unheard of. Actually, I think Alienware laptops are the first to try to cater to the desktop gamers. I'd kill to have one of those laptops. x.x

yester64
June 19th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Only a very small percentage of the general populace cares about freedom of choice or actually wants to build a computer from parts.

Yes, true it is.
Most people buy laptops or netbooks and there is a transition to smartphones now.
Most manufactures sell mostly laptops and lesser desktops. One reason is practical issues. People don;t like stationary units and rather like to take them with them.
You hear more people saying that their iPhone more and more substitutes der home computer since it has all the apps they need.
I am not a coder and i am not a hardcore user anymore so for me there is no reason to hang on to a big rig anymore. Even my father has a laptop instead of a desktop system and all he does it checking the web sometimes.

xpod
June 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM

And with only 1% of users using Desktops we might just see the "year of Linux on the Desktop" after all. :p

Sporkman
June 19th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Desktops live on in business office environments.

ronnielsen1
June 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Means they might be cheaper.

lostinxlation
June 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Means they might be cheaper.

Low volume = more expensive

gradinaruvasile
June 20th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I personalyy think that desktops wont die as fast as some predict.
In businesses all offices have desktops (the managers use laptops but they use it for quite some time) and desktops are cheaper than laptops and more reliable. So, from a business point of view there is no point in replacing desktops with laptops yet.
For work that has something to do with high cpu/hdd usage desktops trump laptops as a general rule - laptops that are used extensively for high cpu tasks wont last long.
Gaming - gaming laptops are insanely expensive, you can have a better desktop for a fraction of its price. Most people value price/performace ratio.

Khakilang
June 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Price and flexibility will keep the desktop alive. You can customise your computer according to your needs and will break your piggy bank.

schtufbox
June 20th, 2010, 12:11 PM
*dying.

People have been claiming the desktop is dead or dying for cheers. It hasn't happened yet, and likely never will.
Evolve maybe.

smellyman
June 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have two laptops that I use often....but I still like having my big monitor and workstation I can just sit at.

Desktops will evolve, but won't go anywhere soon.

HappinessNow
June 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM

^Absolutely that.

agreed.

And with only 1% of users using Desktops we might just see the "year of Linux on the Desktop" after all. :p genius!

Desktops live on in business office environments. Every business I have ever worked at including my current job has only used laptops or tablets, but I guess it depends on your vocation.

raf300
June 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I am a big desktop user and I dont see the desktop dieing out.
However I do think that over the next few years laptops, (if not already) will out sell desktops especially for the home user market. I think one of the reasons for this is the pressure on space for families in the home.

OtakuWrath
June 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I don't like laptops.. they seem to get hardware problems faster.. I'll stick to my trusty desktop :biggrin: overheating isn't a problem for my desktop.

koenn
June 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Desktops live on in business office environments.

but even there, with desktop virtualization and server-based computing, there's a shift away from desktop PC's, towards thin clients, laptops, and misc. devices. It reduces the cost/workload of desktop management, and better accommodates mobile users and free seating arrangements.

wojox
June 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Don't believe the Hype.

NCLI
June 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM
And with only 1% of users using Desktops we might just see the "year of Linux on the Desktop" after all. :p
:lolflag:
Good one, actually made me laugh out loud for real! =D>

Regardless, the desktop is most likely going to become niche. Sad, but true :(.

chiliman
June 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Thats just counting sales, its not like people will start throwing away all of their desktops. Hardware fails and needs to be replaced sometimes so i wouldn't worry too much.. Even though i guess you could if you didn't need much storage but i don't see anyone using a laptop as a server so that will also help keep the market up.

Timmer1240
June 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Im not giving up my desktop its my command center!My wife has a laptop thats her baby I want my desktop!with Ubuntu of course windows 7 for her shes a conformist Im kind of a rebel I want something different but better at least IMHO!

End Us3r
June 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Many of the tasks that were handled by my Ubuntu destop have gradually transitioned to laptop->netbook and now iPhone/iPad. My desktops will remain for tasks that require CPU/GPU power and large displays but for lighter tasks the desktop is overkill and unecessary. Mobility is king.

End Us3r
June 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I personalyy think that desktops wont die as fast as some predict.
In businesses all offices have desktops (the managers use laptops but they use it for quite some time) and desktops are cheaper than laptops and more reliable. So, from a business point of view there is no point in replacing desktops with laptops yet.

Don't be surprised if you hear about businesses providing iPads instead of desktops/laptops. With the right apps the iPad is an exremely capable device.

pwnst*r
June 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Don't be surprised if you hear about businesses providing iPads instead of desktops/laptops. With the right apps the iPad is an exremely capable device.

LOL, you're cute.

MooPi
June 20th, 2010, 05:54 PM
REALLY ? Your being facetious right ?

WinterRain
June 20th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I don't like laptops.. they seem to get hardware problems faster.. I'll stick to my trusty desktop :biggrin: overheating isn't a problem for my desktop.

This.

Plus, I don't need a laptop to be digitally amused every waking moment no matter where I am. I like having a desktop workstation to sit at, and when I'm done, I like to get away from computers and enjoy the real world.

NCLI
June 20th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Uh, no.

As a media consumption device, yes, the iPad(and other tablets) is extremely capable.

However, that is not relevant for businesses. They care about media creation, and for that, the iPad doesn't even come close to any of the other big three(netbooks, laptops, and desktops).

Mark Phelps
June 20th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Well ... maybe as "toys" -- for their executives.

But many businesses, maybe even "most", are still locked into the MS Enterprise model (i.e., domains) and MS apps (i.e., MS Office) and will NOT budge from that position.

Until an Apple product is able to integrate "seamlessly" into an Enterprise environment, don't expect the iPad to make major inroads.

murderslastcrow
June 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
The death of the desktop would be good for Linux- it means that the desktop OS you're using matters less, so why use one you have to pay for? When Adobe gets some real competition from the next generation of creativity tools on Linux, or another vendor, and people realize they don't need Microsoft, or even a PC, for most tasks, things will change drastically.

It's important for us to get into the new market while it's fresh and keep a firm hold on what percentage we can handle of the market share, since this will determine what computing looks like for the next 20 years.

And, so far, it's looking good for Linux on tablets, smartphones, etc. The majority of these products are running some form of Linux, with Apple as the only visible contender on the iPhone and iPad. Seeing as how these other tablets are cheaper and can run REAL applications as well as the slimmed down, huge buttons for your thumbs counterparts, they add more value than the iPad has. We don't need to rewrite our entire platform, but if you want something like that you always have Android.

I think we should encourage people move to the web, but especially with services and software that is private, such as the new Diaspora project. It would be awesome if Zoho Office or a related Office suite online switched their hosting to that kind of model.

yester64
June 20th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I think most people here think of a computer as a thing that has to have a powerful cpu, powerful graphics and lots of storage.
Mostly i believe that this is old thinking. The way you grew up with.

The number of computer sold is an indication that desktops are not the hot potatoes anymore and more people choose a laptop as their main computer. And now the ipad which will spark a new run to a device that changes how you consume media.

I think no one is saying that the desktop will disappear any time soon. But it will change the way people buy computers. This may not apply to people here on the forum, but more to the teens who are the future. Habits change.

I ask myself all the time why do i have a big box of a pc standing around. Only gaming made me buy this big thing and since i don't game there is no real need for it anymore.
My point is, i could the same with a very small pc now or even a nice inexpensive laptop.

Legendary_Bibo
June 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I think the reason why desktops don't sell so well is because they're very reliable. They don't break down as easily as laptops and then you have the older people who are still running Pentium III's with XP or something. Hell I've noticed this with my granparent's computer, it's more than a decade old, and their Sony Vaio is even older, but they refuse to upgrade (or to clean up XP for that matter) because no matter how slow it gets, it works, and that's all that matters.