PDA

View Full Version : Video Quality Loss From Schrinking DVD?

mamamia88
June 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
just curious if schrinking a dvd from 8gb to 4.7gb and then burning it to a dvd will result in video quality loss?

BigSilly
June 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Of course it will, but I generally find K9Copy does a fantastic job of things, and better than the equivalent Windows app too. There's always a quality loss when converting dual layer to single though.

Troublegum
June 19th, 2010, 04:29 PM
The quality loss will be very high. So, that's not a good way to backup your DVDs.

mamamia88
June 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
nah man i don't buy many dvds. i'm talking about a dvd i got from local library and it's the only place that has it in a 50 mile radius. it's all beat up is skipping. figured i would try and rip it and then watch it

V for Vincent
June 19th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I've found that, as long as you don't go overboard on the compression, it's often impossible to tell the difference. Of course, it depends on the DVD.

mamamia88
June 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
yeah it's just an old comedy. someone took off with it at local videostore, and all other videostores are seeming to go out of business. so, i couldn't find it anywhere but this library. the only copy is really beat up so i'm just gonna see what happens.

CharlesA
June 19th, 2010, 04:57 PM
You could probably find it online, if the dvd is that jacked up, you''ll probably have problems ripping it.

mamamia88
June 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
it ripped fine i'm just sick of all these dvds i rent not working properly. i've been on an old movie kick lately and it sucks when they start skipping

chriswyatt
June 19th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I've done that with dodgy CDs before, backed them up and used the backup instead. If the damage isn't too bad it just seems to take ages to read a certain bit.

NightwishFan
June 19th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, digital media can never be improved and appropriate lossless transformation usually gain in size. However for watching purposes what you are intending will work fine.