PDA

View Full Version : Scanning in Ubuntu

quinnten83
June 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Am I correct in thinking that now that Ubuntu uses simple scan they no longer use a xsane backend when scanning?
Or does that not work that way?
If they don't use xsane anymore, where can I check the compatibility of my scanner? (or what do they use now?).

wilee-nilee
June 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM
In the terminal
sudo apt-get install xsane
It is in synaptic.

samjh
June 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Am I correct in thinking that now that Ubuntu uses simple scan they no longer use a xsane backend when scanning?
Or does that not work that way?
If they don't use xsane anymore, where can I check the compatibility of my scanner? (or what do they use now?).

XSane is a front-end GUI. Sane is the back-end. :)

SimpleScan uses the Sane back-end so scanner hardware compatibility is the same as XSane.

quinnten83
June 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
In the terminal
sudo apt-get install xsane
It is in synaptic.

well yeah, i get that, but my question was more like, is what is currently being used (if it isn't xsane) compatible with my current scanner. How do I find out if it is (short of connecting my scanner?)

wilee-nilee
June 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
well yeah, i get that, but my question was more like, is what is currently being used (if it isn't xsane) compatible with my current scanner. How do I find out if it is (short of connecting my scanner?)
I don't have a scanner, so are you looking for one to purchase that is compatible? If you have one plug it in.

quinnten83
June 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I don't have a scanner, so are you looking for one to purchase that is compatible? If you have one plug it in.

Just did, not even detected.
But I can manually install /compile/ sacrfice a goat to get it working if Ubuntu still uses xsane backend.

although, i think i'm just gonna go with windows

wilee-nilee
June 19th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Sane is in synaptic, but as the other posts suggests, it is the backend for what your using I assume they are correct. Look on Google with the scanner name and your distro and see what comes up. If you have windows already then that may be the easiest answer. I think generally if your using either scanner program correctly it should just work if it's going to.

quinnten83
June 19th, 2010, 12:20 PM
XSane is a front-end GUI. Sane is the back-end. :)

SimpleScan uses the Sane back-end so scanner hardware compatibility is the same as XSane.

tnx dude

Zlatan
June 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Just did, not even detected.
But I can manually install /compile/ sacrfice a goat to get it working if Ubuntu still uses xsane backend.

although, i think i'm just gonna go with windows

just try to scan. simple scan does not say if it has found any scanner around there. try to scan and see if that works. it did for me with HP3055 in network.