PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Toshiba Netbook Installation Problem

m_v_r
June 19th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Hello,

I am new to Ubuntu and Linux. But a few days ago I managed to install ubuntu 10.04 on my old desktop without any major difficulties. Today I tried to install ubuntu-10.04-netbook on my new Toshiba NB305 netbook. I created an installation USB using universal-USB-installer and started the installation. The installation proceeded fine through the first few steps, and it created a partition for ubuntu (roughly 40% of the hard drive) leaving the remaining part for Windows 7 Starter that the netbook came with. And then it came up with some error message - something about a missing CD/DVD drive (which, of course, wouldn't be there since this is a netbook) and then went into a blank pink screen with no action. After a few minutes, I shut down (by holding the power switch) and restarted the computer. It logged into Windows 7. When I look at the C drive, it only has 119 GB, less than half of what it originally had. So I figured that the partition had been successfully created but not the rest of the installation.

I tried rebooting the computer from the same USB and I go through the first few installation screens and then when it comes to the partitioning part, it tells me that there is already a partition running Ubunti 10.04 but I have no way to access that. And because it is already there, I don't want to add another installation on top of that (even if I were to assume that this time the same error won't occur).

Can someone help? Thanks.