PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I'm having problems installing ubuntu

booterror
June 19th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I downloaded the disk image, burned it to disk and after 3 tries managed to get the disk to load. It is asking me for a username and password. What is the username and password to log onto the install disk?

booterror
June 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM
why would the live cd ask for a login name and password?

darkod
June 19th, 2010, 01:17 AM
It doesn't. I mean, it shouldn't. That's really weird.

The Try Ubuntu option just loads the desktop straight away.

booterror
June 19th, 2010, 01:22 AM
It loads after a few moments of watching the blinky dots loading bar thing. Then it sounds like the desktop is coming up and a box pops up asking for a login name.

booterror
June 19th, 2010, 01:23 AM
is there supposed to be an option screen before it starts loading everything?

darkod
June 19th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Could it be that you downloaded some custom made image? Did you use torrent? Or from www.ubuntu.com?

darkod
June 19th, 2010, 01:25 AM
You get the menu if you hit any key during the first splash image. If you don't do that it should show a window to start installing I think but it will also have button Try Ubuntu to load the live mode without changes on the computer.

booterror
June 19th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I just restarted it and tried to install it from the menu. everything loaded the same way as before and it is asking for a login and password again.

I downloaded the 32bit desktop version directly from ubuntu's website.

confused57
June 19th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I just restarted it and tried to install it from the menu. everything loaded the same way as before and it is asking for a login and password again.

I downloaded the 32bit desktop version directly from ubuntu's website.

Sometimes this can occur if the md5sum doesn't match or the cd is burned too fast. I think there's a Window's program Md5Summer which can do this. Try running Check CD for Errors at the initial screen. Make sure to burn the iso at a low speed, 8x or less.

booterror
June 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
thanks man. I burned another copy at a slower speed and everything worked.