PDA

View Full Version : I hate Ubuntu 10.04

Johnson2008
June 18th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I guess Ubuntu developers just want to show how clever they are. They make things harder to use. They show they knowledge by letting newbies not finding the system configuration files.

Two examples:
1. what is the way change the default run_level to 3? This is very simple in RedHat.
2. Change the console screen resolution. It can be done by passing vga=xxx in grub. But clever Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't have a easy way to let you go.

What is the purpose of a operation system? Just to waste users' time?

wilee-nilee
June 18th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Feeling bored over there.

XSAlliN
June 18th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Then go back to RH or other distribution, nobody's forcing you to use this.

PS.Damn trolls, this days they pop-up like mushrooms after a rainy day. [-X

Iowan
June 18th, 2010, 11:50 PM
My laptop still runs 9.04 - it works!

wilee-nilee
June 18th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Then go back to RH or other distribution, nobody's forcing you to use this.

PS.Damn trolls, this days they pop-up like mushrooms after a rainy day. [-X:lolflag:

First post and starting with a diatribe will get you no where, and get labeled like this. It seemed to fit your needs though however twisted they may be eh.

lisati
June 19th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure if this a real support request, or something that one of the staff should move somewhere else likt the "Testimonials" or "Community Cafe" sections.

I have 6.06 on one of my machines - sadly no GUI (it's a low-spec machine by today's standards) but it works! It was even easier to set up and get working than the copy of Red Hat I was initially considering for that machine.

Johnson2008
June 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM
Sorry, I take back my words.
I personally just couldn't get used to this version, which doesn't necessarily mean anything bad.

I know Ubuntu has huge users. It must have something better than other distributions.

I guess Ubuntu developers just want to show how clever they are. They make things harder to use. They show they knowledge by letting newbies not finding the system configuration files.

Two examples:
1. what is the way change the default run_level to 3? This is very simple in RedHat.
2. Change the console screen resolution. It can be done by passing vga=xxx in grub. But clever Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't have a easy way to let you go.

nothingspecial
June 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM
I don`t like it when they change things without telling you, like using service instead of /etc/init.d or splitting up /etc/modprobe.d or changing package names.

But I still love *buntu

bodhi.zazen
June 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM

Two examples:

Well, Ubuntu is not Fedora and as surprising as it may sound to you, most new users have no interest in doing either of those two things.

In terms of runlevels, run level 2,3,4, and 5 have been uniform since Ubuntu 4.10. More recently, Ubuntu started using upstart (and more distros are starting to use upstart as well, including Fedora).

My point here, not all distros are the same and you will need to make some adjustments. Debian/Ubuntu or .deb systems are a bit different from RHEL/Centos/Fedora.

Setting the console screen resolution is, as far as I know, the same on all distros, and again it depends on if you are using grub 1 or grub 2.

With that in mind, is there something we can help you with ?

proggy
June 21st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Yes ,are you happy now?

koenn
June 21st, 2010, 09:21 PM
I don`t like it when they change things without telling you, like using service instead of /etc/init.d or splitting up /etc/modprobe.d or changing package names.

But I still love *buntu

They have changelogs and readmes with every release, and most changes are discussed well before release (in the development/testing threads on this forum, amongst others)

also, important changes such as upstart are pretty well documented, eg
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/index.html.

nothingspecial
June 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM
They have changelogs and readmes with every release, and most changes are discussed well before release (in the development/testing threads on this forum, amongst others)

also, important changes such as upstart are pretty well documented, eg
http://upstart.ubuntu.com/index.html.

I know,

But I tend to test specific software, rather than Ubuntu itself (see link in sig), allthough I do install the next release 6 or 7 weeks before the official release on at least one machine.

I know the answers are easy to find, it`s just that in my perfect world, after install, it would say,
btw - we`ve changed /etc/modprobe.d

I realise, this is silly..........

.......but it would be nice :p

koenn
June 21st, 2010, 10:00 PM
... it`s just that in my perfect world, after install, it would say,
btw - we`ve changed /etc/modprobe.d

I realise, this is silly..........

.......but it would be nice :p
:) true.

(and the announcements should limit themselves automatically to things you haven't found out in other ways yet)

cariboo
June 21st, 2010, 10:31 PM
I know none of us do this, but you could always check the Release Notes (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes). :)

nothingspecial
June 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
I know none of us do this, but you could always check the Release Notes (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes). :)

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave a few moments ago.