PDA

View Full Version : installing ubuntu netbook on g3 ppc

xan0
June 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I'm in the process of trying to install ubuntu netbook on a third generation ibook g3 with 192ram and 600Mghz ppc processor. I want to boot it from a flash drive because I don't have a DVD reader on this computer. It's an extremely out of date computer.

I was wondering what system I should install and how I would be able to get the image on a flash drive and install it that way. How I would be able to boot from the usb also.

kerry_s
June 18th, 2010, 09:27 PM
does the bios have the option to boot from usb?
ubuntu has start up disk creator to make usb installers. its what i use.
you'll need another computer that can run the live cd to make the usb.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/daily-live/current/

for the usb you'll need the alternate cd:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/lucid/release/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-powerpc.iso

cause you don't have enough ram.
ubuntu does not have ppc netbook iso so you'll just have to add it after you install.

xan0
June 18th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah I've become aware I have far to little ram to run ubuntu. If possible I would like to run netbook. It probably won't run niceley though.

Is there somewhere I can download ubuntu 5.10 breezy badger. I think that will run on 192Mb.

kerry_s
June 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah I've become aware I have far to little ram to run ubuntu. If possible I would like to run netbook. It probably won't run niceley though.

Is there somewhere I can download ubuntu 5.10 breezy badger. I think that will run on 192Mb.

5.10 is dead, you would be stuck with really old software that you can't update & you won't be able to install anything cause those repos are gone.

netbook is still ubuntu, just a different gui, it will still run the same as standard ubuntu.

other then a custom install, you really don't have much choice. your best option is to get something on there, then you can add lighter stuff to use & remove the other junk.

is there any reason you don't want to stick with osx, cause that really will run the best on that mac.

xan0
June 19th, 2010, 12:58 AM
it's running os 9.2.2 I tried os X and it ran pretty slow

kerry_s
June 19th, 2010, 01:46 AM
it's running os 9.2.2 I tried os X and it ran pretty slow

:lolflag: thats not to bad, could be worse.
i think debian would be your best bet, i haven't touched a mac in years, but if i remember right linux had a lot of issues with the ibook g3, so your in for a lot of fixing, screen res i think is the first thing you'll come across, i can't remember what else.

xan0
June 19th, 2010, 02:08 AM
sounds like fun. thats kinda what it's for. just playing around with

kerry_s
June 19th, 2010, 02:41 AM
sounds like fun. thats kinda what it's for. just playing around with

see if you can find a how to, try googling "debian ibook g3 install".